GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Meeting of Council held at Gowerton Con Club on Wednesday 1 September 2021

 

 

PRESENT:  Councillors Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Viv Davies, Amanda Guard, Linda Bolchover, Lyneth Snodden-Howells, Paul Emmerton, Matt Palmer Clerk to the Council:  Allison James. Also present – Brian Edy, via Teams.

 

28.        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Cllr Barbara Small, Cllr Peter Morgan

 

29.        DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None

 

30.        MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

31.        TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – Mr Billy Howes

 

Mr Howes attended the meeting to tell us about the bakery he and his partner, Miss Tasha Small started during lockdown. They are working from home at the moment,, but as the business has grown, they needed new premises.  They made enquiries in the village and are in the process of renting the former Tanning Station,

 

They will be open for takeaway coffee, pies, sausage rolls, bread etc. and are looking to provide a different market to what is already on Sterry Road and attract more people to the village.

 

They are going to be making Artisan bread in another premises in Loughor to perform the production side. The timescale for opening will be around 8 weeks.

 

Gowerton Community Council would like to wish Mr Howes and Miss Small every success in their venture.

 

Mr Howes left the meeting at 19.43

 

 

32.        COUNCIL MINUTES: 7 July 2021

.

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Cllr Amanda Guard, Seconded by Cllr Susan Jones.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

33. TO RECEIVE THE REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Sue Jones

During this time, I have attended the Teams Meeting with the Council.  There is no indication that this will alter during the immediate future.  It has been quite a busy time with many individuals asking for advice or for help to solve situations.

 

The building of Y.G.G is progressing, and I know that the residents of Park Road will be relieved when all the continual lorries and machinery have completed.  The continual beeping of reversing lorries is from early morning to late teatime will be a great thing to cease.  Hopefully, this will not be for too much longer.

 

The building site at the Cefn Gorwydd has had some concerns for the residents of Gorwydd Road and I have spoken to the developer regarding these issues. The building of this site is predicted to be about 139 weeks from start to finish and the disruption to that area will be a trial for the residents.

 

I have undertaken a number of litter picks in the area and would appeal to all residents to look after our Community.

 

The “Walk and Talk” Group has continued over the Summer, and the group have now progressed to having a Coffee after the Session.  Can I again say “If you want some fresh air, a chat, or some gentle exercise” please join us.  All are welcome on Wednesdays’ meeting at the Elba Carpark at 10.00 am.

 

During this month I have visited many of the businesses in Gowerton, giving information of the Recovery Fund being organised by the City and County of Swansea.  If I have missed anyone - Please contact with me.  I have also given information about grants to many of the groups and organisations in the village.  It is very important that we all support local businesses. I am also looking at projects for the village from the Recovery Fund.

 

During the last week we have seen another collision with the Railway Bridge - the knock on effect of the gridlocked traffic highlights the volume of vehicles that travel through Gowerton.  This situation should be considered when Planning Applications for new houses is submitted.  Gowerton is the crossroads of the whole area.

 

I have received much criticism for the state of the park in Park Road.  The refurbishment has not been completed yet and I have applied for grants to assist.  There has been much said of the vandalism in this area and I am trying to install cameras to help combat this.  I would like to thank those people that helped to cut back the lane from the footpath to Heol y Gog.  This was very heartening to see so many who were prepared to help.  A big Thank you to you all.  If anyone is prepared to look at forming a “Friends of the Park” group. Please could you contact me. 

 

Below are the projects that I have used my Community Budget for over this council session.  Prior costs for the park are on previous Council Sessions.  I have an amount still to spend, as I am awaiting the cameras for the park and trying to arrange for a coffee pod at the Elba, there are also some highway situations that need funding.  I hope this gives a flavour of my work in the village.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gowerton Ward

 

 

2017/22

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Susan Jones

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Income

 

 

 

 

 

£35,000.00

 

 


 

 

 

Total

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donation

 

 

 

 

 

£15,000.00

 

 

 

 

 

£50,000.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Scheme Ref Number

 

 

Date Requested

 

 

Estimate 

 

 

Total Balance Available to Date 

 

 

Project Description

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CB0.446

 

 

28/11/17

 

 

£1,900.00

 

 

£33,100.00

 

 

Xmas lights around sheltered complex in Llys Elba & Dan Yr Allt

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0299

 

 

1/2/18

 

 

£2,000.00

 

 

£31,100.00

 

 

Contribution to Gowerton Comprehensive for drainage issues

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0325

 

 

27/4/18

 

 

£150.00

 

 

£30,950.00

 

 

Contribution to Gowerton School for Materials to build bird boxes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CB0.511

 

 

13/4/18

 

 

£200.00

 

 

£30,750.00

 

 

Wild Flower Planting Bryn-Y-Mor Rd & various Sites

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CB0.588

 

 

11/9/18

 

 

£650.00

 

 

£30,100.00

 

 

WW1 Memorial Seat at the Elba PF

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0361

 

 

20/9/18

 

 

£192.00

 

 

£29,908.00

 

 

Payment for Veterans Club in Rechabite Community Hall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CBO.618

 

 

15/11/18

 

 

£1,800.00

 

 

£28,108.00

 

 

Dropped Kerbs at Ffos Felin Gowerton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0384

 

 

28/1/19

 

 

£600.00

 

 

£27,508.00

 

 

Payment for external Cabinet for Defibrillator to Gowerton RFC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0396

 

 

18/3/19

 

 

£192.00

 

 

£27,316.00

 

 

Payment for Veterans Club in Rechabite Community Hall for a further 6 Months

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0412

 

 

6/6/19

 

 

£360.00

 

 

£26,956.00

 

 

S & F Dectors for Scout Hut

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CB0.753

 

 

1/10/19

 

 

£200.00

 

 

£26,756.00

 

 

Deep Clean Bus Shelter on Victoria Road Gowerton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0437

 

 

4/11/19

 

 

£464.00

 

 

£26,292.00

 

 

Payment for Notice board in Gowerton Primary School

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0442

 

 

15/11/19

 

 

£100.00

 

 

£26,192.00

 

 

Tree Planting Scheme

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0456

 

 

4/2/20

 

 

£168.00

 

 

£26,024.00

 

 

Payment for Handmade Signs in memory of Elba Colliery

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0501

 

 

7/8/20

 

 

£105.62

 

 

£25,918.38

 

 

4 Imprint Ltd for shop local bags

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0505

 

 

14/9/20

 

 

£300.00

 

 

£25,618.38

 

 

Donation to St John's Church for a deep clean

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0509

 

 

28/9/20

 

 

£500.00

 

 

£25,118.38

 

 

Payment for Marque for lunch time Gowerton Comp

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CB0.906

 

 

3/11/20

 

 

£203.00

 

 

£24,915.38

 

 

Planting of daffodil bulbs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CB0.928

 

 

4/12/20

 

 

£5,500.00

 

 

£19,415.38

 

 

S & F 2 lighting Columns on footpath Mount Pleascent/Park Rd

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Total

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Batch Header Ref

 

 

Date Requested

 

 

Donation Budget £15,000.00

 

 

Total Balance Available to Date 

 

 

Project Description

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0291

 

 

10/1/18

 

 

£500.00

 

 

£14,500.00

 

 

Gowerton RFC for equipment for Girls Rugby

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0338

 

 

20/6/18

 

 

£250.00

 

 

£14,250.00

 

 

Donation to Gowerton Cricket Club Girls

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donation

 

 

11/11/18

 

 

£30.00

 

 

£14,220.00

 

 

Lamppost Poppies

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0388

 

 

11/2/19

 

 

£40.00

 

 

£14,180.00

 

 

Donation to Gowerton Primary School for Poppy Wreaths

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0413

 

 

10/6/19

 

 

£300.00

 

 

£13,880.00

 

 

Donation to Veteran's Club for an event on the 3rd August

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0436

 

 

29/10/19

 

 

£500.00

 

 

£13,380.00

 

 

Donation to Gowerton Amateur Production towards projects

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FM0549

 

 

4/3/21

 

 

£1,000.00

 

 

£12,380.00

 

 

Donation to Gowerton RFC towards access path for wheelchair

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Total Donations

 

 

 

 

 

£2,620.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CB0.881.CP

 

 

Capital Scheme

 

 

£15,000.00

 

 

 

 

 

Creating a footpath linking to Pelican Crossing Clos Helig

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Capital Scheme

 

 

£6,000.00

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

During this month there has been a celebration to dedicate the new electric score board at the Cricket Club to Dyson Rees. Who started scoring at the club in 1964.  It was a lovely afternoon which was enjoyed by all.  I also attended the stakeholders meeting at the Cricket Club to look at improving the facilities for the Children of Gowerton.  I am looking forward to seeing this development to improve for both Rugby and Cricket in Gowerton for boys and girls.

 

I have introduced Donna Kendall (Local Area Coordinator) to Alex Pye (Vicar of both Gowerton and Waunarlwydd) to ensure that we are all aware of the work she is doing in our area with individuals.

 

There are moves to restart my surgeries in Gowerton Library and when this has been agreed I will inform all.

 

A sink hole has appeared in one of the Cul-de-Sacs in the Ballard site which is being dealt with by the City and County of Swansea.  This situation will take a few weeks to remedy.

 

The pavement in a section of Gorwydd Road has been resurfaced during the last few weeks. I received a complaint regarding the uneven surface of the pavement by a lady who is a wheelchair user, and I am grateful for this being remedied.

 

I would like to thank Kier Contractor for the donation of the flag pole which has been installed in the Triangle near the Coop, and also thank the volunteers for their help with this project.  Currently, the Welsh Flag is flying well in the village.

 

The meeting that was arranged to look at the Elba Sports area and the possibility of a Coffee Pod being allowed has taken place and I am awaiting an update of this suggestion.  

 

A horse chestnut tree was donated by Mr Bond in Church Street. This cutting was originally taken from St Johns Church. It has now been planted near the Elba.

 

There is a problem with water in Cecil Road going into Sterry Road.  I have arranged to get a drainage specialist to take a look at this.

 

Stay Safe all, during this Pandemic.

 

 

34.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

 

Dyson scoreboard – Official opening on Saturday, 14th August, 2021

This event was to honour Dyson Rees for his outstanding contribution to Gowerton Cricket club over many decades which included the following;

Team scorer 1954 -2006

Assistant secretary 1957 -2015

Treasurer Gowerton Athletic club 1964 -2015. A fantastic achievement for a gentleman to have given so much to his club and his community.

 

S106 Agreement between developers and Local Authorities.

A letter was sent from OVW to Lee Waters, MS; “I write with reference to discussions held at our last National Executive Committee (NEC) of OVW where the topics of Section 106 agreement . In relation to Sect 106 the Chair. Gareth Evans put forward the following proposal;

This agreement is fatally flawed under the existing legislation; the Developer can ask a LA for a reduction in the agreed contribution due to previously unforeseen costs. I submit that once a contribution has been agreed it cannot be reduced to financially benefit the Developer at the detriment of the community. It should be a legally binding agreement that is non-negotiable.

I am sure this practice goes on across Wales and Communities will continue to be disadvantaged unless we see change .Our Community has lost over £500k due to a reduction sought by the Developer which was earmarked for the local education. How can we build resilient communities when we lose so much?

I hope that this proposed change will be supported by members so we can lobby Welsh Government accordingly

     The National Executive Committee unanimously supported this proposal and would welcome the Deputy Minister considering the matter and subsequently taking steps to end this practice which is having such a detrimental impact on community benefits from developments for communities across Wales.

The National Executive Committee would only be too happy to meet the Deputy Minister to discuss the impacts on communities across Wales. It was suggested that a group of NEC members with the OVW Chair and Chief Executive should request a meeting with the Minister to discuss the issues as well as possible solutions.”

 

Training of Councillors

Training sessions are available through OVW, members to contact Clerk to arrange accordingly.

 

Enforcement Order  – 9, Bishwell Rd

Planning officer met with Legal Department and are writing to the owners and given a deadline to complete the completion of the outstanding tidy-up to comply within 2-3 weeks. Should no significant action be taken by the owners, legal action will then be enforced forthwith.

 

Swansea Bay University Health Board

SBUHB are currently engaging on changes they are making to Older peoples mental health services. There is an Engagement document outlining the proposals and the period to respond until 12th September, 2021.

 

 

35A.  REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

  1. I met with Nick Ozzati from the Ambulance Service. He gave me advice on debrillators, which are the best options to buy and maintenance costs.  He also went through the register of defibs and I was able to make a list of where they are and when they were serviced last.

 

  1. The debrillator arrived and I contacted David Nichols from Life Support Training and Safety. He collected the defib and fitted it to the wall of Swansea Health Solutions. I need to get Bowen Hopkins to connect the electricity so the cabinet can be heated before the winter,but it is all up and running.

 

  1. David Nichols has given a quotation for some parts that need to be replaced on the current defibs.  Plans to move the defib from the library to the Co Op cannot go ahead as Co Op have a policy that only their own defibs are to be placed on their shops.  We possibly need one more defib near the Bishwell end of the village.

 

  1. John Knox emailed to ask if we are able to give a donation to the firework display at Gowerton RFC this year. I replied that it would be brought to the meeting and we would let him know the decision.

 

36 (B)  FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

Order Number

Cheque number or payment type

Date

Creditor

Subject

Net

VAT

Total

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               

36

bacs

01/07/2021

1 and 1 IONOS

Website

   

54

37

bacs

01/07/2021

Clerk Office Allowance

Qtr 2

200

0

200

38

bacs

02/07/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 July 2021

13.74

2.75

16.49

39

bacs

09/07/2021

Clerk Mileage

Mileage costs

42.75

0

42.75

40

bacs

09/07/2021

Calon Heart

Defibrillator

1312

0

1312

41

bacs

16/07/2021

Clerk Phone Allowance

July

   

38.99

42

bacs

19/07/2021

HMRC

July

288.54

0

288.54

43

bacs

23/07/2021

Clerk Salary

July

816.94

0

816.94

44

bacs

02/08/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 Aug 2021

13.74

2.75

16.49

45

bacs

05/08/2021

Swansea Council

Invoice for supply of trees

280

 

280

46

bacs

18/08/2021

Clerk Phone Allowance

August

34.12

4.87

38.99

47

bacs

25/08/2021

Clerk Salary

August

816.94

 

816.94

48

bacs

28/08/2021

Bay Landscapes Ltd

July

202.92

40.58

243.5

49

bacs

28/08/2021

Harvester, Gowerton

Pot of tea and lemonade for meeting with N Ozzazi, WAST. Re Debrillators

5.49

0

5.49

50

bacs

28/08/2021

Asda

Stationery Items

6.84

0

6.84

               
               

 

 

 

37(c) CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

During the period 1 July to 30 August 2021, we received over 200 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

I received an email from Oliver Wickes from Ramblers Cymru who wanted to arrange another meeting re producing leaflets etc for walks. However, it proved quite difficult to get local residents involved and I felt that the onus would fall onto Community Councillors. The contact was passed onto Donna, the Local Area CoOrdinator for the area, who might be better equipped to arrange groups of volunteers.

 

I received an email from Mr Brian Edy who is interested in becoming a Community Councillor. I rang Mr Edy and he will be joining the meeting via teams to observe.

 

I received an email from a local resident enquiring whether parking could be available on the site of the old primary school. I replied that the land was being sold and therefore, parking facilities would be highly unlikely.

 

I’ve also had emails from residents reporting overhanging trees in various locations – all of which have been reported to Swansea Council.

 

I have had a phone call and email regarding a dispute with some land – I replied that it is not a matter for Community Council, but that legal advice should be sought.

 

I had a report that the graveyard on Sterry Road was looking overgrown. I contacted Bay Landscapes who kindly cut back around the gravestones and put down weedkiller where appropriate. They have not charged us extra for this service and Community Council would like to express their appreciation of this kind gesture.

 

 

The instagram account has 330 followers and 171 posts.

 

 

38. QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS:

 

  1. Cllr Bolchover raised an issue with Point 4 of last months report by the chairman – It stated that there hasn’t been an AGM for some years. Linda wanted to correct it. Cllr Evans said he had not been invited so as far as he was concerned there hadn’t been one, also, no minutes have been produced. He said if evidence could be provided, he would amend his report accordingly. Cllr Bolchover said the invite is usually via telephone. Maybe the invitation process could be reviewed?

 

  1. Welcome to Mr Brian Edy who has expressed an interest in becoming a Community Councillor and joined the meeting to observe via Teams.  Clerk to arrange the necessary meeting and paper work.

 

  1. Cllr Howells said local businesses on Sterry Road are keen to organize a street market. Cllr Howells is to bring a plan together of businesses that would be interested. Licences needed, road closures. It is a long and expensive process but Community Council are happy to back the principal of the idea. More information is needed initially.

 

  1. Cllr Emmerton raised the subject of the pavement opposite Gowerton RFC by the bridge. Cyclists are still using it. Nothing can be done unfortunately. We have previously contacted Swansea Council to raise concerns.

 

  1. Cllr Ann Guard said that the road goes to carpark on the Elba is in a terrible state. Freedom leisure and Swansea Council. Freedom leisure are responsible. Clerk to contact Jamie Rewbridge – Swansea Council, Freedom Leisure.

 

  1. Cllr Davies has reported the dead trees along cycle track to Swansea Council. Awaiting action.,Reported to Council.

 

  1. Cllr Davies and Cllr Howells have painted the last of the benches provided by Community Council. They look fantastic and certainly brighten up the village. Many thanks for your hard work.

 

  1. Cllr Evans brought up the pavement opposite the Harvester. It is very overgrown. Cllr Jones has reported it.

 

  1. Cllr Evans said the Panel between two sets of traffic lights is still outstanding. This has been reported to Swansea Council previously. Clerk to report again.

 

  1. Concerns were raised about monitoring air quality in the village with all the building works going on. Clerk to contact Swansea Council.

 

 

 

39. PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

Application No: 2021/1923/TPO Date Registered: 19.07.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258841 195887 Development Type: Tree Preservation Orders Location: 23 Mount Pleasant, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3EN Proposal: To lop or fell one Sycamore tree covered by TPO No. 648 Applicant: Miss Rosemary Phillips Agent

 

No objections from GCC

Application No: 2021/1918/FUL Date Registered: 27.07.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258107 196239 Development Type: Householder Location: 38 Maes Y Deri, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3GJ Proposal: Single storey side extension Applicant: Mr. Keri Chahal Agent: Mr Mark Thomas

 

No objections from GCC

 

 

Application No: 2021/2110/S73 Date Registered: 10.08.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259170 196265 Development Type: Variation of Conditions Location: Eclipse , Woodlands, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DP Proposal: Change of use of Tanning Studio (Class D1) to (Class A1) -(Variation of condition 4 of Planning Permission 2021/1312/FUL granted 1 July 2021 to extend the operating hours to 7am to 9pm on any day) Applicant: Mr Billy Howes Agent

 

No objections from GCC

 

 

Application No: 2021/1877/FUL Date Registered: 17.08.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258148 196434 Development Type: Householder Location: 1 Clos Y Gweydd, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3HF Proposal: Side conservatory Applicant: Mr Frank Mateo

 

No objections from GCC

 

 

Meeting closed at 21.10

 

Date of next meeting – Wednesday 6 October 2021 at Gowerton Con Club.

 

 

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                            

………………………………

 

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com