Add Heading



Minutes of the  Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 5th September 2018

PRESENT:  Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Viv Davies, Paul Emmerton, Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Ros Holt,

Beveley Jenkins and Barbara Small


ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas


47.       APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Cllr(s) Claire Kups and Susan Jones



Financial- S137 Request – Women’s Club

 Cllrs Ann Guard and Linda Bolchover declared an interest in this application and took no part in discussions or decision.

Financial- S137 Request – Gowerton Music Players. Cllr Ros Holt took no part in discussion or decision.


49.       MEETINGS WITH:  None required




51.  COUNCIL MINUTES : 4th July 2018

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted. 



Cllr Jones emailed the following report which was read out in full to members:

‘Report for July and August 2018.

I attended The Comprehensive School’s Art Exhibition in the White Room of the Grand.  It is great to see the talent of the pupils and celebrate their achievements.

I attended a site visit to the Primary School with the Council’s Scrutiny Board, the visit was to look at the Foundation Phase which is well exhibited at the Primary School. The Primary School also performed “Lion King” at the end of term which again demonstrated the talent of the children and recognised the hard work of the Staff. The Leavers Evening was also a celebration of the pupils and recognised their contribution to the Primary School before attending the Comprehensive.  It was a pleasure to attend both these events.

During the last two months I attended a Governor Meeting at the Comprehensive School, various Scrutiny Meetings, and Corporate Parenting Board.

I have had meetings with Anne Robinson our Local Area Co-ordinator, and Tonia Antoniazzi our M.P. to discuss various issues that affect the village. Also attended the Drop in session at the Doctors Surgery to ensure the views of some of the residents were noted with regard to the amalgamation of the Gowerton and Pen y Bryn Surgeries.  I was assured that the service to the patients would be maintained and in fact services could be enhanced in the future.

The fund raising event at the Gowerton Cricket Club was a successful occasion which was really enjoyable.  The Pavilion is an iconic building which is worth saving for future generations to enjoy and I hope the village will support any future fund raising events to ensure this happens.

It is with great pride that I report that the commemorative bench has been installed in the Elba Sports Complex and that this was paid for out of my Community Budget.  I hope that it is treated with respect for all to enjoy and remember the sacrifice made by many people.

The” Gowerton Rocks” project has been a success and many of the children and adults of the village have participated. Thanks to the Library for holding the painting of the pebbles and to the organisation by some of the parents to have the commitment to ensure it happened. I actually painted one of the pebbles myself and enjoyed.

There have been many individual issues for residents that I have and am dealing with at the moment.’





Report from Cllr Davies:                                                                                                              

July :

Attended Pact Meeting

30th July    Community & Town Councils Forum at Guildhall

Discussions regarding Review of Charter. Meetings to be held by a sub forum twice a year.



Visited the Art & Craft community exhibition in various venues around Swansea. Interesting, but unfortunately no exhibitors were from the Gowerton area – so not suitable for our A & C exhibition.

Visited the library whilst pebbles where being painted by the children

Attended Reverend John Colebrooks funeral. For many years vicar at St Johns until his retirement.

Visited the Elba to see the WW commemorative bench. – Excellent.



(a)           Miscellaneous

  RESOLVED that:


The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that:


1.   High Vis Vests.  Clerk will purchase 15 printed High Vis vests at £2.99 each plus vat and delivery.  These can then be used for various events such as litter picks and Father Christmas Grotto.

2.  Collapsible Banners for events.  Clerk will arrange 3 x collapsible banners plus a banner to fix to Temple railings to advertise Arts and Crafts Exhibition.  Clerk to contact company and bring proofs to next meeting for approval.

3.  Brynymor Rd Trees.  Resident has been in touch with clerk with regards to the removal of trees.  Any debris has been removed.  Noted.

4.  Coed Franc Community Council if now to be known as Coed Franc Town Council.

5.  Arts and Crafts Exhibition.  Clerk confirmed that Lord Mayor of Swansea has been requested to open the event.  Man a and a van has been requested to help with the logistics of the event.    Clerk will make and supply the buffet after consideration of costs of other suppliers.

Cllr Bolchover updated members with the following information.  All stands have been organized, Temple booked, Harpist requested and schools have been contacted.   There have been several exhibitors booked for the event and there are lots of groups and individuals taking part.  There will also be some stables selling their crafts.   Gowerton Primary to be informed that the competition entries are to be on A4 sized paper, and they will be collected on Friday 12th October; judging to take place on Sunday 14th October.  The theme for the competition will be ‘your favourite sport’.  Publicity of event will be around the village and on banner organized.

6.  Christmas Lighting Suggestions for village.  As in previous years arrangements to be made to role out business decorations.  Shops/premises such as Dog groomers, Top Knot, Classic Styles, Eclipse, Country stores and chip shop all t be considered and approached to assess costs.





54(b)  Financial Matters

1.For Payment

The following items are for authorization/ratification:




£ Amount












Telephone Adv. Charges





Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge





Sage One

Online payroll system






Monthly printer ink












 The items of correspondence were noted.   



1.  ‘Green Man’ not working on lights by Elba Carpets.

2.  PACT Meeting.  Cllr Bolchover reported as Community Council representative. PCSO Angharad Williams with another officer attended meeting.  Cllr Bolchover and Cllr Davies attended for Council.  Traffic related problems were raised.  Particularly Shaw St/Mill St, by the corner as this is dangerous.   There are also problems reported in Caemansel with caravans etc. trying to get through and subsequently get stuck. 

There have been some issues with speeding on Mount Street.  There is further (earlier prompting) signage needed to warn of this issue when vehicles attempt to travel up to Cae Mansel.

3.  With regards to the new website, Councillors names and details to be put up and advertising the Arts and Crafts Exhibition information also to be included.

4.  More prominent signage has been requested by Cllr Bolchover for Woodlands as the signage is very unclear to guide people onto the routed cyclepath.

5.  The ambulance wait times for this area are very poor and this need to be brought up with the City and County of Swansea officially, as it has been reported several times of elderly accident victims waiting several hours just to have an ambulance attend them at the scene.

6.  Cllr Holt read out letter from Arriva summarizing that the new franchise takes over the station from 14th October 208.  This will be then under ‘Transport for Wales’/’Keolis Amey’.  There will be a series of regional briefings in due course.

7.  The tree that was removed (Magnolia) in the triangle needs to be replaced as soon as possible.  It was suggested by members that perhaps a more hardy winter flowering tree may be an appropriate option.  Clerk to check with landscapers for suggestions and costs.

8.  Complaint received re: tree at rear of 30 Elba Street as this is badly overhanging the garden.  Clerk will request tree officer to inspect.

9.  Suggestion made to have a bench sited by the overflow car park on the inner relief road.  Clerk to check with council on viability.

10.  The Church sign on entrance to Church Street needs renewing.

11.  The crossing/traffic island by Coinwash/CKs is in a terrible state.  The surface cement has broken up and is unstable.  This needs to be renewed.

12.  Cllr Guard said to keep in mind the Cricket Pavilion for support of maintenance etc. when needed.  Clerk advised no request for funding has been received.

13. For info.  There has been a reduction in the planter Floral displays for this year as they were incorrectly sited in the previous year.

12.  Cae Mansel Rd is currently closed as it is being resurfaced. For info

13.  The pavement on entrance road to Gowerton (opposite Harvester side) needs cutting back to make it safer to cross etc.

14.  The Brambles by the railway bridge also need to be cut back as they are in an overgrown state.



Following was resolved by Council:

1. 2018/0444/OUT

Land East Of, 2 Park Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3EP - Consideration of minor dwellings – Outline application.  Object due to overdevelopment of the site and siting in proximity to neighbouring property.





































Meeting closed at 8.55pm                                                                                              






We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

2 Castle Street



Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:



Ms S Thomas

07583 157571