GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Meeting of Council held at Gowerton Con Club at 7.30pm on Wednesday 10 November 2021

 

 

PRESENT:  Councillors  Susan Jones, Ann Guard,  Amanda Guard, Brian Edy, Barbara Small, Peter Morgan, Matt Palmer Clerk to the Council:  Allison James.

 

52.        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Councillors Paul Emmerton, Roz Holt, Gareth Evans, Lyneth Howells, Linda Bolchover

 

53.        DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None

 

54.        MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

55.        TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION: None

 

56.        COUNCIL MINUTES: 6 October 2021

.

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Cllr Barbara Small, Seconded by Cllr Susan Jones..

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

57. TO RECEIVE THE REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Susan Jones

 

Meetings continue with “Microsoft Teams” for the Council - there is no move to return to face to face meetings at this time.  The infection numbers continue to rise, with shortages in Staff for many businesses being a challenge. This challenge is also being experienced by the Council and the knock on effect for services.  This month has been very busy and the individuals that I have dealt with have been addressed is many.

 

There have been a number of issues in the village:

  1. I have reported the bus which is obstructing the Highway near the former Infants School and the firm responsible has been contacted on numerous occasions and even this morning (Wednesday the 10th November) it is still parking and causing problems with obstruction.
  2. I have had the litter bin removed from opposite the Conservative Club and it is now near the lane opposite the Mansel Club.  I had requests for removal of the litter from the lane, which I undertook. Hopefully the bin will reduce the litter on the floor in that area.  
  3. Litter bin established in Shaws Wood has been of concern and the collection teams have been advised.
  4. The safety issue on the netting between the two pitches on the Elba has been hi-lighted and I have been informed that the netting will be in place this week.  A young lady was hit by a football from the other pitch and this safety incident had to be remedied. Thank you to the coaches for letting me know about this.
  5. I have paid for two defibrillators to be installed in the village.  I am awaiting permission to use Council land at the bottom of and in the vicinity of Shaw Street.  I would like to thank Dave Nichols for his help with this.  My idea was to cover both ends of the village, and I have been informed that there is a defibrillator in the Tesco Store on Brynymor Road, which is good news.  I will advertise the location of all the machines in the village when I have updated information.  Dave Nichols has arranged Defibrillator training on Monday 29th November 2021 starting at 6.30pm until 8pm.
  6. I have visited the Crafters that meet in Dan yr Allt and would like to encourage people to join this group on a Thursday Morning at 10.30 am. It is a very friendly group who would welcome new members.
  7. I have had two abandoned cars removed from the carpark - thanks to the resident that reported this to me.
  8. I contacted Morgan Stone the developer for the Cefn Gorwydd Site to ask to sweep the pavements and the road adjoining the entrance to the site, again residents contacted me.
  9. There will be a two minutes silence arranged by Community Councillor Matthew Palmer at the Flag Pole in the triangle on Thursday the 11th of November at 11.00 am. when the poppy flag will be installed. Rev. Alex Pye will be present to give a few words. There is also a Remembrance Service at St.John’s Church at 7.00pm (restricted numbers)
  10. I have arranged a Street Surgery on Monday the 22nd of November outside the Mount Pleasant Shop at the top of Park Road.  There will be Police, Neighbourhood Support Unit, Gorseinon District Housing Officers, Donna Kendall our Local Area Co-ordination and myself in attendance.
  11. I have had meetings alongside Donna with various people around the village to address some requests for assistance.  We are hoping to address these requests in the new year.
  12. The Economic Funding request to complete the work in the park at Park Road that I submitted has been granted, and I am awaiting Officers to contact me to progress.  This is good news for the village.
  13. I have been contacted again regarding the parking in the Library, people are unable to access the Library because of pupils and staff from YGG using this area.  I have written to the Head Teacher, asking for consideration and asking that they restrict this facility area for Library use.
  14. Update on the Camera for the Park -  There has been a delay in the delivery of the cameras and I will have an update when it has been installed.
  15. The sign on Hill Street for the Railway Station pointing the wrong way has been reported to the contractor that has been employed to erect the signs. I will chase this up.

 

 

 

 

58.  REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

 

No report was received from Cllr Evans, due to ill health.

 

59A.  REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

  1. I have received the following quote for next years floral display. This does include the same number of hanging baskets that businesses ordered in 2021 but some (Rachel Reynolds Hair, Nomad, Top Knot)  have said that they do not require them for 2022.

 

I have the pleasure in submitting the following quotation which I trust you will find acceptable.

 

We can add extra barrier troughs to the area one extra by the Commercial Pub, two opposite the Com and two down by the lights where the new pharmacy is?

 

  • To supply and maintain the following.
  •  49 x Lamppost baskets @ £86.11 + Vat £104 = £5096.
  •   7 x Troughs @£86.11 + vat £104 = £728.
  •  19 Hanging baskets for businesses @ £70.39 + Vat = £85.00 = £1615. (numbers to be confirmed)

 

                                                                                                                                                                                      Total £7439. Vat Incl

 

 

  1. Cost of bench to be placed near the Commercial Pub. I received information from a private company which quoted a minimum price of £600 for a recycled plastic bench. However, we would need to pay £1800 for Swansea Council to put the hard standing and installation of the bench on their land. Therefore, it is more cost effective to order the bench directly from Swansea Council at a cost of £2160 including VAT. This price includes the bench, a plaque, installation and maintenance of the bench for 10 years.

 

  1. We need to think about how we are going to spend the remainder of the grant money issued by Western Power for Covid related issues in 2020 as if it is not spent accordingly, we will be in breach of the grant conditions. We had planned to hold some kind of celebratory event in the village, but this has not yet been possible.

 

  1. Christmas lunch – possible date for Community Council Xmas lunch at Gowerton Conservative Club – Sunday 5 December. 2.30pm or earlier? Date confirmed by all present as 13 December 2021 at 7pm. Clerk to arrange.
  2.  
  1. I have contacted Bay Landscapes Ltd and requested that the Xmas tree be supplied during the last week of November and lit up on during the first week of December.

 

  1. I have contacted Bowen Hopkins to arrange the lights in the village for the first week in December.

 

  1. In response to Cllr Edys research about bus shelters, I have obtained the following information:

 

A bus shelter would cost £14,000 plus maintenance costs of approximately £1000 pa to keep in a good state of repair. There are many legal obligations including if it is defaced with offensive graffiti we only have 24 hrs to get it cleaned off.

 

  1. I attended the second session on Teams of the CiLCA course. I have a number of assessments to complete and the course content is most interesting and informative. I think it will benefit me in my role as Clerk and in turn, benefit Gowerton Community Council with increased knowledge of legal obligations and commitments.

 

 

59 (B)  FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

Payments made

 

57

Bacs

04/10/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 Oct 21

16.49

58

Bacs

11/10/2021

Swansea Council

Floral Displays

7223.5

59

Bacs

13/10/2021

Life Support Training and Safety

Defibrillator Equipment

550

60

Bacs

13/10/2021

Blooming Belles

Flowers for V Davies - resignation

35

61

Bacs

03/09/2021

Cllr R Holt

Reimbursement of items purchased

18.1

62

Bacs

02/09/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 Sep 21

16.49

63

Bacs

13/10/2021

HMRC

Aug/Sept/Oct

865.42

64

Bacs

15/10/2021

Clerk Phone Allowance

Phone allowance October

38.99

65

Bacs

22/10/2021

Bay Landscapes Ltd

September

243.5

66

Bacs

02/11/2021

Bay Landscapes Ltd

October

243.5

 

Receipts

 

bacs

30/04/2021

Swansea Council

Precept

11289.67

Bacs

14/06/2021

HMRC

VAT refund

2533.05

Bacs

23/06/2021

HMRC

VAT refund

2182.63

bacs

31/08/2021

Swansea Council

Precept

11289.67

bacs

19-Oct-21

Evercoat Home Improvments Ltd

Payment for baskets

123.75

bacs

20-Oct-21

Gower Catering Ltd (Nomad)

payment for baskets

82.50

bacs

26-Oct-21

The Contented Sole

Payment for baskets

82.50

bacs

01-Nov-21

Williams Pet and Garden Supplies

payment for baskets

82.50

         

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

59(c) CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

During the month of October, we received over 200 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

 

I emailed John Knox to inform him that following his request for a donation to the Gowerton RFC firework display, Gowerton Community Council would like to donate £300 and if he could contact me so I could arrange to pay the amount into their bank account. I have had no reply to date. Update – Mr Knox rang me and explained that unfortunately the firework display would not be going ahead this year due to rising costs of fireworks and the threat of inclement weather. If the club did not have a good turn out they would be running at a loss.

 

An email from a local resident informing us that the chimney stack on the colliery ruins had been demolished and was there any legislation protecting this?  Cllr Jones has passed the email onto the Planning Dept, Swansea Council. The resident contacted us again. Update – Cllr Jones has passed on information received from Swansea Council to the resident.

 

An email from Owain George who is running the zero waste company to say thank you for our help and he will be trading from Nomad Bar and Kitchen’s yard on Tuesdays.

 

An email received from Mrs Linda Bolchover giving details of the Rechabite Hall AGM and asking for members to comment via email.

 

An email from former councillor Viv Davies who said she still has the plastic poppies and would we like her to put them up around the village? I replied this would be much appreciated and we are glad she is still happy to help out with this task.

.

An email from Alan Hughes giving a quote for next years floral display. See Clerks report for details.

 

Clerk has invoiced all the businesses that received hanging baskets. Rachel Reynolds, Nomad Bar and Kitchen and Top Knot hairdressers have said that they do not require baskets next year.

 

Nick Ozzati has sent details of a grant to apply for funding for a defibrillator from Welsh Government. Clerk to look at applying for this.

 

A message form David Nicholas to say that he has booked the Conservative Club in Gowerton for a Defibrillator training night on 29 November 6.30pm to 8pm and requested that we share this on any social media accounts.

 

The instagram account has 342 followers and 192 posts.

 

 

60. QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS:

 

  1. Cllr Small said that after a recent stay at the Caravan Site in Gowerton, it was observed that the site do not have facilities to recycle glass.  Clerk is to write to the company to ask their policy on recycling.

 

  1. Cllr Small said that lane division lines are need by the lights near the Doctors Surgery to prevent cars from drifting out of their lanes. This is apparently planned at some future date by Swansea Council when funding becomes available.

 

 

  1. The subject of the proposed hostel in the former LN pub was raised but GCC would prefer to wait for the planning application before commenting.

 

  1. Cllr Small said that when you phone Gowerton Surgery, it directs you to “Ask My GP online”. However, the website is not currently working so you then have to phone again and join the queue.  Can this be taken off their phone line until it is working again?  Clerk to write to Community Health Council to suggest this and to copy practice manager in,

 

  1. Website says arts and crafts exhibition might be on next year. This needs to be altered.

 

  1. Cllr Ann Guard said that the fencing at the top of woodlands terrace has collapsed. Cllr Guard take a photo then Clerk to report to Swansea Council.

 

  1. Cllr Edy brought up the subject of the network travel consultation. He says that they should concentrate on finishing links they have started before starting new links. Mr Edy wanted to lodge his concerns on this. All present agreed that it should be lodged as an individual, not from Community Council.

 

  1. Cllr Edy would like to encourage people to use public transport and to help people to understand how to make the change to improve the climate. Cllr Edy said that the quality of service of public transport needs improvement and has contacted Tim Mitchel of integrated transport in Swansea Council for information.  Bus shelters are provided by Swansea Council. They can be funded by the local ward member but Cllr Susan Jones said she did not have enough money in her budget to fund a bus shelter as there are other projects that she feels should take priority.

 

Less than a third of the bus stops (26 in total) have some form of shelter. Few at extreme ends of the village would help. After much discussion it was decided that the best course of action would be to raise the issue on the Gowerton Residents page perhaps? Residents could voice their concerns to Swansea Council to raise awareness of demand.

 

  1. Cllr Peter Morgan said that there are frequently two vehicles parked on the pavement by the triangle of land opposite the shops in the village square. Cllr Morgan has concerns that they are obscuring views of the road for cars turning at the junction.  It was deemed that no action can be taken about this.

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 21.28

 

Date of next meeting – Wednesday 1 December 2021 at Gowerton Con Club.

 

 

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                            

………………………………

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com