Add Heading

 

GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 6th November 2019

PRESENT:  Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Viv Davies, Gareth Evans, Ros Holt (arrived 8pm), Lyneth Howells

Susan Jones and Barbara Small

 

ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas

 

57.       a)APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Cllr(s)  Paul Emmerton, Ann Guard and Ros Holt (attended from 8pm).

b) Members were advised that Cllr Beveley Jenkins has resigned as a Councillor.  Members understood and commented how much her hard work over the last few years has been appreciated.  Letter of thanks to follow.

 

58.       DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS:  None received.

 

59.       MEETINGS WITH:  None required

 

60.   TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – None received

 

61.  COUNCIL MINUTES: 2nd October 2019

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Except to note minor spelling mistakes.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted.

 

62. REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

Cllr Jones gave the following report:

Meetings I have attended:-

Supported Living with Carers of Learning Disabilities, Full Council and Adult Services Scrutiny Panel.

Also attended:-

Funeral of Ex Councillor Byron Owen., funeral of Ex Councillor John Hague, Civic Service at St.Michael’s and All Saints Church (Manselton) and then a Meal at the Liberty Stadium.

 

Reports around the village:-

 

1.The Council has been successful in obtaining Welsh Government Local Transport Grant Funding for bus stop improvements in Gowerton. These improvements are shown in the attached plan and summarised as follows:-

 ·   Replacement of the existing bus shelter on Hill St with a new stainless steel type of shelter recently provided in other areas of Swansea.

·   Installation of raised bus stop kerbs on Hill St to permit level boarding with buses

·   Footway resurfacing on Hill St in the vicinity of the existing bus stop

·   Installation of drop kerbs and tactile paving to provide continuation of pedestrian crossing facilities across Hill St from Cecil Road

·   Changes to the existing parking / waiting restrictions fronting the library to ensure buses can turn from Cecil Road into Mansel St. I am still to see this layout for these changes?

·   Removal of the existing bus stop on Sterry Road. All service buses passing through the village will be directed towards the enhanced bus stop on Hill St. This will simplify the interchange arrangements for many passengers changing at Gowerton for onward travel.

·   The removal of the bus stop on Sterry Road will provide additional space to enable the construction of a central pedestrian island at this location enabling pedestrians to cross the road towards the new shops recently built with access off the mini roundabout. I will be having more discussion with this proposal.         ·   The existing bus stop on Mansel St west of its junction with Hill St will be removed and the footway in this location reinstated to form a standard footway configuration. I have negotiated that this bus shelter will be relocated in Brynymor Road.

 These works have been issued for construction and will provisionally commence on site week commencing the 25th November 2019. Consultation is currently on-going with First Cymru and other operators regarding the proposed changes.

2. Changes at the traffic lights near the surgery being discussed to make safer access and egress from Elba Street. Also the Doctor Surgery car park is scheduled to repaint the parking lines and hopefully avoid the disabled parking spaces being abused.

3. I have also arranged that the bush shelter outside Aunty Ivy’s be cleaned and repainted.

 4. The Council are continuing to seek final approval from Network Rail to complete the new cycle-path / footway link between Fairwood Terrace and the railway station and once this has been received, we have a Network Rail approved contractor in place for the works to immediately recommence and complete this 1st section of the larger intended link to Kingsbridge. For information, a contractor has been appointed and will commence works later this week on the upper section of the 2nd phase of works from the Kingsbridge direction towards Gowerton. We are currently finalising legal agreements for the remainder of the route from the treatment works to Alder Way with the intention that this too will be constructed early next year. I’ll provide you with further updates as this develops.

It’s shaping up to be a busy period for Gowerton over the next few months with the above works packages being implemented.

5. The vehicle which mounted the pavement near Nomads was apparently a stolen vehicle and it was amazing that there was no-one hurt.  CCTV was obtained from various places in the village by the Police.

6.  The incident at Tesco’s this Monday was also a shock and I hope the 66year old gentleman who was hit by the car will make a full recovery.

7. The Patch Team is starting work on Talbot Street, Sterry Road, Shaw Street and Gurnos Road this week. They have already completed work in Gorwydd Road.  I have posted the notices on facebook for the village to be made aware. I have also asked for Cedar Close and Bryn Road to be considered but both these areas are needing major resurfacing and will be scheduled for work as soon as possible.  The Highway Department has a process which they follow. 

8. Cefn Gorwydd entrance to the new site is being established on Gorwydd Road in conjunction with the Highway Department. The development of the area will be soon be started by Pobl.

9.  Reminder for the renewal of the Bus passes and to advertise that the Staff in the Library are there to help with this if needed. So get in touch with the Library to make an appointment. You have until December to renew.

10.  Some issues with flooding in Clwyd Wen and Parkwood which are both being addressed by the Highway Department.

11.  The Coach Park at the bottom end of Park Road has been addressed.  This situation is much appreciated by a 99 year old resident who now does not look out at buses all day.  Thank you to both the County and the bus company for their cooperation with this situation.

12.  There have been a number of individual issues which I am dealing with at the moment.

13. This afternoon the Local History Group attended the Mansion House with the Lord Mayor (Peter Black). And were given high tea in recognition of the 50th Anniversary of the City Status of Swansea.  I think all who attended enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the hospitality extended to us all.

I have a surgery on Saturday Morning At Gowerton Library from 11.00 a.m. to 12 noon.  All welcome.

 

63.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

Cllr Gareth Evans gave the following report:

1.  The Arts and Crafts Event was another big success this year thanks for all of the help and cooperation between Linda and family, community councilors and exhibitors who make it possible.  The Lord Mayor of Swansea Cllr Peter Black opened the exhibition; it was nice to see some new exhibitors, a big thank you to all involved.

2.  Attended OVW conference, and AGM, last month at Pontrhydyfendegaid, keynote speaker was Hannah Blythe AM deputy minister, for housing and local Government, also Elinor Shepley; Institute of Welsh affairs.  Among topics discussed were the economy, jobs, well-being Act, strengthening Bio diversity, Community and Town Councils and accessing new funding. The afternoon AGM consisted of reports from the Chairman, CEO, auditors and accountants.  There were five motions put before delegates all motions passed by a majority vote.

3.  Attended Swansea Area Committee meeting at the Guildhall, among the topics discussed was the Environment (Wales) Act 2016 – Biodiversity duty, under this duty (section 6) it is necessary for all Councils to contribute towards bio diversity in their areas and publish a report by end of 2019, and every three years thereafter.  Your S6 Plan must be reviewed after publication of the report.

4.  Attended a night at the Shows at Gowerton Con Club, performed by St Johns Church Musical Players, featuring the adult and children’s choir, soloists and live band.  It was great night! With a lot of talent and humour (especially the children’s choir) all conducted by Joan Lewis MBE.

 

64. REPORT OF THE CLERK

(a)           Miscellaneous

The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that:

1. Concern reported with regards to future plans for Tesco cashpoint, whether bollards in the area would be beneficial.  Members commented that the area the previous cashpoint was located has been boarded up, and a risk assessment would have to be carried out by them.  Resident had also contacted Tesco themselves.  For info.

2.  Resident issues with regards to some inconsiderate parking for Gowerton Primary.  School to be requested to remind parents about parking with consideration.

3.  Complaint received with regards to the lack of public seating between Gowerton to Penclawdd.  Clerk to contact CCOS to address a potential site that may be acceptable for seating.

4.  Invitation to members to attend Diversity in Democracy workshop on 13th November at the Liberty stadium.  Members asked to advise clerk if they wish to attend.

5.  The usual Father Christmas is unable to attend this year’s event.  Cllr Paul Emmerton to be asked whether he can cover this event when he returns from holiday.

6.  Clerk advised she has a template to assist when preparing Biodiversity report and will feed back information at the next meeting in December.

7.  All local Councils have been requested to register any celebrations with regards to the national anniversary.  Members are invited to consider ideas for next year’s celebrations .

 

64(b)  Financial Matters

1.For Payment The following items are for authorization/ratification:

 

Creditor

Item

£ Amount

 

VAT

 

a)

Sky

Telephone Adv. Charges

38.00

 

yes

b)

Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge

243.50

 

yes

c)

Sage One

Online payroll system

7.20

 

yes

d)

HP

Monthly printer ink

7.99

 

yes

e)

Remmerprint

Raffle Tickets

28.00

 

yes

f)

Viv Davies

Various small amounts for spool/paint plants

49.09

 

yes

g)

Wilko

Purchase of 50 glasses for events

25.00

 

yes

h)

Tesco

Buffet Food

249.26

 

no

i)

Asda

Wine for buffet

88.20

 

no

j)

Man and a Van

Removals/moves for arts exhibition

580.00

 

no

k)

V Davies

Further purchases for notice board area

19.00

 

no

l)

Gareth Evans

Mileage for travel for OVW AGM

52.00

 

yes

S137 – Gowerton Rugby Club - £450.00

 

64(c) CORRESPONDENCE –

 The items of correspondence were noted.   

 

65   QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS

1.  Cllr Bolchover advised of the amounts of exhibitors and groups etc. involved in the recent Arts and Crafts exhibition.  For next years it would be wise to advise schools of the specific opening times of the exhibition, to include the fact that it is a half day on a Saturday.

2.  Cllr Bolchover also advised she had recently attended the Musical Players concert in St Johns.

3.  Cllr Davies advised she attended the Arts and Crafts exhibition, and went with the Gowerton local historical society at the Mansion House to Lord Mayor.  Cllr Davies also attended the St Johns Musical players at St Johns.

4.  Cllr Davies also advised she had reported fly tipping behind Shaw Street (behind post box)

5.  Cllr Davies had spent some time at the train station clearing the brambles which was very positive.

6.  For information Sustrans have been given permission for the cycle track to connect to the station.  It appears work has started.

7.  Cllr Davies advised she has spoken to Martin Bignell with regards to a tree in the Triangle, and he advised a spruce would be appropriate.  This will be deferred until next year.

8.  There will be some decorative plastic poppies put up around the noticeboard site for Remembrance.

9.  There is a speeding issue currently on Sterry Rd, it would be useful to have a light up speeding board.

10.  There is a Council van parking on the pavement on Sterry Rd, and it is causing an obstruction to pedestrians.  To be reported.

11.  The Ivy on the Ash tree has still not yet been cut.  Clerk to advise Bay Landcapes to be done.

12.  For info. Cllr Small has seen a man and little girl picking up litter around village with a litter picker.

13.  The shed will be put up at the rear of the Rechabite Hall on 14th December.

14.  There is an ongoing issue with the pavements in Glanmorfa, in wet weather, meaning that children have to walk around large puddles into the road to cross without getting wet. Cllr Jones advised she will deal with this issue.

15.  The allotment grant aid payment of £500 has been made by the Clerk.

16. For info.  National parks are trying to make Swansea a greener area working in conjunction with National Resources, Wales.

17.  Several members were surprised by the negative comments recently made on facebook by a fellow Councillor with regards to commenting work on the noticeboard .  Members will address this issue if Councillor attend a further meeting in the near furture.

18.  There is a problem with brambles by the entrance to the former junior school.  To be reported.

19.  There is a village remembrance service at 7pm at St Johns Church.

20.  Cllr Evans advised he has been approaching businesses for raffle donations. Cllr Small advised she has received raffle prize kindly donated from Victor Johnson.

21.  Cllr Gareth Evans will replace Cllr Beverly Jenkins as a Gowerton Primary Govenor.

 

66   PLANNING MATTERS

2019/2209 – 8 Yr Hen Gorlan, Gowerton.  Change of use of a domestic garage to a dog grooming parlour. Object on the following grounds: Unsuitability of area as it is residential not business, close proximity to other residents homes.  Access road too narrow and parking extremely limited.

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 9:05pm                                                                                               

Chairperson

 

 

We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

31 Clos Bevan

Brynymor Park

Gowerton

Swansea

SA4 3GY

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com