GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the  Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 7th November 2018

PRESENT:  Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Viv Davies, Paul Emmerton, Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Ros Holt, Susan Jones and Barbara Small

 

ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas

 

67.       APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Cllr(s) Susan Jones, Claire Kups

 

68.       DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS:  

 

69.       MEETINGS WITH:  None required

 

70.   TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – None received

 

71.  COUNCIL MINUTES: 3rd October 2018

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted. 

 

72. REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

Cllr Jones emailed the following report which was read out in full to members:

‘Meetings attended:-

Flood Management, Adult Services Scrutiny Panel, Full Council, Child and Family Scrutiny Performance Panel and the Freedom of the City for Sir Karl Jenkins.

Other events I have attended:-

The Well Being Event in the Library where various organisation attended to give advice to all that attended.

Gowerton Comprehensive School (Exclusion) also met to discuss the achievements of the Looked after Children in my role as the LAC Governor. I was part of the Performance Management process at the School.

Book Celebration at Gowerton Primary School – to celebrate and recognise an achievement of Marie Abid on writing her first book.

The opening of the Arts and Craft Exhibition where we welcomed the Lord Mayor to Gowerton.

Visited the Veterans Club which is held in the Rechabite Hall every Thursday.  I have accepted the role as ambassador for our area to promote this Veterans Club.  I am very honoured with this involvement.

I attended the” Proms” conducted by Joan Lewis MBE. With the St.John’s Musical Players.  It was an enjoyable evening of entertainment which will provide funding for the Veterans Club. Thank you to all.

Meetings with Officers on issues in Gowerton:-

Highways – exploring the options to egress from Bryn Close which I have received complaints about.  The Officer is drawing up a plan of action.

Education – I meet with Officers to look at a draft plan for a two story building with parking off Park Road. To allow Ysgol Gyfyn Gwyr to increase the pupil population by a further 200.  My comments were that this village is already dealing with tremendous traffic problems and any increase would be detrimental to our village.

I organised the lamp post poppies to be displayed in Sterry Road.  It also has been organised for the “Gowerton Rocks” commemorating the end of the 1st world war to be placed by the Poppy Bench in the Elba Sports Complex.  Again this allows the children to respect the sacrifice made by the many who died.

I also attended the Gorseinon Fire Station where Anne Robinson our Local Area Co-ordinator is organising a Community Meal to be held in the village.

I dealt with many individual issues for the village residents and held a surgery last Saturday.

Can I remind you the there is a Remembrance Service in the Comprehensive School on the morning of the 9th. of November.  A Remembrance Service in St.John’s Church at 7.00pm. Also on the 9th. of November. The Gowerton Comprehensive School is also holding a Remembrance Service on Tuesday the 13th. of November at 6.00pm. for the Community. I would also like to bring to your attention that Coastal Housing are putting on a display of the proposed development of the  houses off George Manning Way in Gowerton Library on Friday the 16th of November from 4.00pm – 6.00pm.  I have meet with some of their employees and put my observations regarding the lack of adequate infrastructure of the village, on traffic, schools, Doctors surgery.  I also explained that this development is outside the village boundary and in the countryside (green area).  It was my suggestion to put on this display to allow the residents of the village to give their opinions; hopefully it will be well attended although I do feel that the limited time of this display is a concern.

 

73.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

Report from Cllr Davies:

Report of Chairperson 7 November 2018

4 Oct

Attended Well Being event at the Gowerton Library

 

3 Nov

Attended Charity Concert of St John Church Players. Excellent local talent including dedication to the fallen of the 1st World War including a ravally by local cadets.

 

5 Oct

Worked on the Gowerton Railway Garden

 

11 Oct

Due to attend Railway meeting in Carmarthen but unable to attend due to trains stopped through flooding.

 

12 Oct

Attended One Voice Wales Area Committee at the Council Offices with Ros Holt.(as substitute for Gareth Evans)

 

This included a very informative talk by Fire Services station Manager, Steve Davies who outlined how the partnership worked between the Councils and themselves.

He pointed out that Swansea Local Authority has the largest population in Mid and West wales – just under 250,000.

How they were trying to educate youngsters by liaising with schools, old people.

Offering advice to people in their homes and their strategy to target those in higher risk areas.

He listed 25 elected members who represent the six Local Authorities in the mid and west wales area.

They have an Arson Reduction Team which takes in such issues as grass fires, Hazardous site safety, fly tipping etc.

He listed how the Fire Stations were catagorized in the Swansea area into those On Call or Whole Time cover. 

(It is all summarised – with a lot more useful statistics and information which Serena will copy for councillors as required)

 

The Review Panel noted that there were now 735 member Councils. Strategies formulated at the previous One Voice Wales meetings would now conform meetings. He referred to the Independent Review Panel papers – which the Clerk will copy and give to all our Council members as there are certain areas that have been recommended for change.

The rules governing the £150 allowance have already been explained by our Council Clerk and perhaps a reminder should be given to the councillors that should you wish to opt out notification should be given in writing to the Clerk before 31st March. HMRC states that the basic allowance is taxable and council members should be reminded of this.

 

A special mention should be made of the very successful Art & Craft Exhibition held by the Council recently. It was gratifying to notice that the Lord Mayor of Swansea, Cllr David Phillips was particularly appreciative of the quality of the art and craft displays. Most Community Councillors were able to be present to help with the displays for most of the days required, but again, a special ‘Thank You’ must be made to Cllr Linda Bolchover who has organised the event so superbly. We all realise that the meticulous organisation is not just confined the days around the event and Cllr Bolchover, for approximately 25 years has taken on the responsibility of organising the event months in advance - and indeed, for weeks afterwards. The Exhibition would not be possible without the work and support of the Council Clerk, Serena and Steve Bolchover and Linda’s son, Martin who are there to support her and the Council over this time. It is intended that the Council will officially send letters of their appreciation.

 

 

I have contacted the Council to cut back overgrown laurel on the grassy verge opposite the Dan Yr Allt Complex near Roper Write Close as the gardeners are having difficulty cutting the grass.

                                                                                                                                                     

64. REPORT OF THE CLERK

(a)           Miscellaneous

  RESOLVED that:

The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that:

 

1.   Tree in the Triangle for Remembrance Day 2018. Bay Landscapes will be purchasing a winter flowering cherry tree.  This will be in place prior to Remembrance Day. On the Friday 9th November members to have a small ceremony placing a poppy cross and the memorial plaque by the tree and also the war grave.  Members to meet at 11.30 am at the triangle.

2.  Gowerton Community Meal.  Email received from Anne Robinson.  Letter read to all members.  Members resolved to contribute £50 towards the event.

3.  Elba Street trees.  Clerk advised that email was received that CCOS do not have the time to carry out the work this winter, and that they have higher priorities in the next 6-8 months.

4.  Sustainable Drainage Systems (SUDS) will be coming into force from 7th January 2019.  There will be a training course available on 10/11th December in the Liberty stadium.  For info.

5.  There will be a series of road shows with regards to the new rail franchise (Transport for Wales).  There will be one taking place at Swansea station on Thursday 15th November 2018.

6.  The newsletter will now be going out, combined with the advertising of the Christmas grotto.  Clerk to arrange this, to include local churches schedule in time for delivery prior to grotto date.

7.  Arts and Crafts Exhibition.  Once again this was a successful event with the Lord Mayor of Swansea opening the event in a very enthusiastic way.  Further events and alternative events will be discussed at the upcoming January meeting.

8.  Christmas Lighting for Gowerton.  The new roll out of Christmas lighting in the village is on schedule and will all be in place for the upcoming December.  For info.

 

74(b)  Financial Matters

1.For Payment

The following items are for authorization/ratification:

 

Creditor

Item

£ Amount

 

VAT

 inc

 

 

 

 

 

 

a)

Sky

Telephone Adv. Charges

38.00

 

yes

b)

Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge

243.50

 

yes

c)

Sage One

Online payroll system

7.20

 

yes

d)

HP

Monthly printer ink

7.99

 

yes

e)

1and 1

Hosting fee

35.96

 

yes

f)

Rechabite Hire

2017

44.00

 

no

g)

L Bolchover

Ink/paper etc for Arts and crafts exhibition

38.98

 

no

 

 

74(c) CORRESPONDENCE –

 The items of correspondence were noted.   

 

75   QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS

1.  With regards to the Christmas Grotto, a chair for the children to sit on is required inside the grotto. 

Cllr Guard/Holt will get some from the church.

2.  For info. The road surfacing of Gorwydd Rd is currently taking place.

3.  Clerk to check on costings for biodegradable dog bags.  Council used to supply these to the village, however these have now run out.  Clerk to also check whether CCOS supply these any longer.

4.  For info.  The ongoing issues re: abandoned house on Bishwell Rd.  This is a continuing eyesore.  A petition is locally being arranged.

5.  For info The cycle path by Lliw Valley Close – it would be good to see this progressed.   It was suggested by members that perhaps due to the change of franchise they may now coordinate with sustrans to progress this matter.

6.  The road sign in Glanmorfa is still down and needs to be replaced. It keeps being put back up temporarily, but this needs replacing properly.

7.  The Glanmorfa Trees (by Chicane) these trees are still dropping branches in poor weather.  To date several branches have fallen into the road and surrounding areas.  Some maintenance was promised a year ago, however this has not yet been done.  Clerk to request for this work to be carried out.

8.  The Primary school stated they have not received the winner’s lists etc. for the school competition winners.  Clerk will resend the list and the winner’s certificates and medals will be arranged asap.

9.  The traffic lights by the inner relief road (Sterry Rd/cks – right hand opposite Station Rd) the green lights is not working.

10.  The traffic lights by the Ming Fai (Sterry Road crossroads) are at a strange angle and need some realignment.

11.  There is a pot hole that needs repairing at the top of Gurnos Rd.  Some resurfacing has been done, however this has not been corrected.

12.  Bryn Close – The road is in a terrible state and needs to be resurfaced/fixed urgently.

 

76   PLANNING MATTERS

Following was resolved by Council:

1. 2018/2112 - 71 Sterry Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3BN

 Proposal: Change of use of ground floor from Public house (Class A3) to Gymnasium (Class D2), change of use of first floor from Gymnasium (Class D2) to three one bedroom self- contained flats and convert the second floor into two one bedroom self-contained flats, fenestration alterations and addition of canopy over existing external staircase.  No Objection.

 

2.  2018/2132/TPO 1 Baytree Court, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3AD

To lop 1 Oak tree covered by TPO 449 Applicant.  If tree officer deems necessary for health and safety the the Community Council have no objection.

 

Meeting closed at 9:10pm                                                                                              

Chairperson

………………………………

Add Heading

Here's where you can enter in text. Feel free to edit, move, delete or add a different page element.

We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

2 Castle Street

Swansea

SA4 6TU

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Ms S Thomas

07583 157571

Gowertoncommunitycouncil@gmail.com