GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

 

Minutes of the Annual Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 1st May 2019

 

PRESENT:  Cllrs Gareth Evans, Linda Bolchover, Viv Davies, Paul Emmerton, Ros Holt, Ann Guard,

Beveley Jenkins, and Barbara Small.

ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas

 

1.         APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Susan Jones

 

2          TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE RETIRING CHAIRMAN

Chairman Viv Davies gave the following report:

Attended Senior Awards Evening in the Gowerton Comprehensive where I presented some of the awards to the senior pupils, including a reward for excellence in Art and another for Photography at ‘A’ level.

Continue to monitor the Notice Board garden, watering every other day in the recent dry spell and weeding as necessary. More tidying will be done once the daffodils have died down. Two slabs will be placed near the Notice Board at this time.

Collected some litter on the Railway Station.

Unable to finish painting benches near the school during the week, due to lack of parking. This will be done on a weekend when the weather is favourable.

The flytipping behind the post box has not been addressed or the pothole in Gurnos Road.

There is a pot hole near junction of Gurnos Road and Shaw Street.

Also has the council looked at the possibility of painting yellow lines on this right angled junction as sometimes vans/cars park right on the junction which narrows the road down to one lane and cars have to stop in the middle of the road in order to turn R.

The finish on the pavements outside the Nail Salon after the installation of the new lights is not fit for purpose and downright dangerous.

3.         ELECTION OF CHAIRPERSON

             Cllr Gareth Evans was elected as Chairperson.

 

4.         ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRPERSON

             Cllr Paul Emmerton was elected as Vice-Chairperson.

 

5.         DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS:  

Planning – Item 3 - 2019/0857 – Cllrs Ann Guard and Barbara Small declared interest and took no part in discussion of vote of said item.

 

6.         TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATIONS –   

None received

 

7.         MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

8.         COUNCIL MINUTES

3rd April 2019

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted.

 

9          CHAIRMAN’S ALLOWANCE

The written report of the Clerk was noted.  RESOLVED that in pursuance of S34 (5) Local Government Act 1972 the Chairman’s allowance for the forth-coming financial year is set at £500.00.

 

10(A)   REPRESENTATION RESOLVED

The following Members represent Council on the following bodies:-

a)  One Voice Wales Area Committee                                   Cllrs Gareth Evans and Paul Emmerton

b)  CCS / Community Council Forum                                     Cllrs Gareth Evans and Paul Emmerton

c)  Area 2 Development Control Committee sites visits        Cllr Gareth Evans, Paul Emmerton

and Linda Bolchover

d) Planning Committee                                                           Cllrs Gareth Evans, Paul Emmerton

and Linda Bolchover

e)  Rechabite Community Hall Management Committee     Cllr Gareth Evans

f)  Governing Body – Gowerton Primary                                Cllr Beveley Jenkins

g) Link person – Adopt a station scheme                               Cllr Ros Holt

h) Pact meeting Representative                                             Cllr Viv Davies

i)  Events committee                                                               Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Paul Emmerton and

Ann Guard                                          

11(B) INTERNAL AUDITOR

RESOLVED:

  1. Mr. Lyn Llewellyn is asked to continue to act as internal auditor for the forthcoming financial year
  2. Cllr. Holt has delegated authority to act in financial matters of urgency.

 

13(C) FIX DATE AND TIMES OF MEETINGS FOR THE YEAR

COUNCIL MEETINGS 2019/ 2020

RESOLVED that, in accordance with Standing Order 1, that:

  1. Ordinary Meetings of Council shall be held on the first Wednesday of each month (except August) at 7.30pm at the Rechabite Community Hall and that the next Annual Meeting is held in May 2020.

 

  1. Special Meetings if required are held on the third Wednesday in September 2019 and February 2020 to consider applications for financial assistance and any matter of urgency.

 

(D) COMMITTEE STUCTURES and WORKING PRACTICES

RESOLVED that:

a)         Standing Orders

            b)         Equality and Diversity Scheme policy adopted

            c)         Health & Safety Policy - No change

            d)         External contracts – No change.  Members are satisfied with current contractor.

            e)         To consider mandatory Remuneration Policy – As Clerk has previously advised there have been mandatory changes in remuneration policy.  All members have been advised of £150 payment to be made each year, and members agreed to the chairperson’s allowance of £500.  Any members not wanting payments were advised that written confirmation would need to be supplied to the Clerk.

f)  The Working Party system continues on an ad-hoc basis.

g)  Data Management/Protection.  No changes to be made.

 

12        COMMENTS by the INCOMING CHAIRMAN

Cllr Gareth Evans the following report:

Like to thank Viv Davies for all the hard work she’s put into the Chair’s duties for the last 12 months putting a lot of energy and time into promoting Gowerton Council to our residents, and she’s been a valuable asset and a big thank you from the Council.

As a Council we strive to improve the wellbeing of all our residents and as such we need to engage with the community in a different way.

We need to call a public meeting and ask the village what they would like to prioritise short and long term (providing it is sustainable and affordable).  We need to involve the business community to set up a chamber of trade which they would run with support from Council, it’s been attempted previously however it is suggested that we revisit this again, nothing to lose but much to gain!

It would be beneficial to the village to have more defibrillators along with some supporting classes for CPR (including schools).

Other issues to be considered – How can we improve our bus service? Support our schools and make visiting GP surgeries easier for our residents (including car parking).

 

13   QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS

 

Following questions raised by Members it was RESOLVED that:

1.  Rubbish needs to be cleared by the post box on Dan Yr Allt.

2.  Cllr Bolchover advised of available dates for the Arts and Crafts Exhibition is 17th-19th October 2019.  Members resolved to accept these dates.

3.  For information. There was a person who was attempting to stay in the Temple shed, and would not leave.  The Police had to be called and they removed the person.

4.  There have been some yellow lines painted in Woodlands, however in some areas they have just painted over the gravel.

5.  For information – The Welcome to Gower Pub is up for sale.

6.  Cllr Holt has received a letter from Geraint at Arriva, advising that they will supply a bench for the station. They will also supply up to £40 for flowers for the area.

7.  For info. There has been a drugs raid in a property in Church Street.

8.  There have been complaints received with regards to the new lights by the doctors.  Traffic control needs to be addressed, particularly the impact the traffic has on Mill Street.

9.  With regards to the Ash tree by Pont Y Cob/Brynymor Rd piece of land, this needs to be checked for health and safety once again asap.

10.  The ongoing issue with regards to the trees from Glanmorfa to inner relief road.  In poor weather these trees continue to drop branches onto the road below.  This has been reported several times, to County Council, however due to budget/workforce limitations the maintenance work required is delayed.

11.  The old lampposts (by 29 Mill Street/Church Street) need to be maintained.  These need to be painted asap.

12.  Check with the City and County of Swansea whether planters are available for all corners of the crossroads by the surgery.

13.  The road sign needs replacing on Roper Wright Close (opposite wardens house) as the existing one is rusted and has fallen.

14.  For information.  Re: 9 Bishwell Road.  There have been some scrap metal employees on the site and have removed the metal from the area.  Hopefully this will see an improvement for the area with ongoing progress.

14 REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Sue Jones gave following report:

 

Monthly Report for April 2019.

Meetings attended:-

Development and Regeneration Scrutiny Panel

Equalities Scrutiny

Adult Services Scrutiny Panel

Crime and Disorder Presentation

Full Council

Child and Family Scrutiny Panel

 

Other events attended:-

Governor training on Exclusions.

Meeting with the LAC coordinator of the Comprehensive School.

Full Governing Body of Gowerton Comprehensive School.

 

City Centre Conference and Exhibition at the Leisure Centre. There were many organisations represented and you were encouraged to make your views/ideas know for the improvement of the City Centre and surrounding areas.  It was well attended with members of the public there in great numbers.  The topics being promoted where:- Development and Investment, Creative and Digital, Energy and Environment, and Swansea as a destination.

 

Awards Evening at Gowerton Comprehensive School. This was a celebration of the success of past and present pupils of the School.  This has resulted in the Green Categorisation awarded to the School from the Welsh Government for the past five years. It was a great evening attended by very proud parents, governors and staff. Well Done to All.

 

Easter Bonnet Parade in the Primary School, which was again well attended with Parents and Grandparents.  The bonnet creations were amazing and all the children seemed to enjoy the event.

 

Anti-social behaviour Workshop which hi-lighted the process followed by the Authority.

Veterans Group.

 

The NEAT TEAM have completed the clearing of the Library Carpark which has extended the number of parking places at this venue. They again have done a splendid job and I have passed on my thanks to them.

 

Over the Easter Break I have not had any meetings with Officers.  There are a number of ongoing issues in the village. 

  1. Road surface of Cedar Close and parking issues in this area by parents picking up their children from the Comprehensive Schools.
  2. Rubbish being dumped at the Library.(microwave and 3 black bags)
  3. Complaints about the state of a site in Fairwood Terrace and the involvement of Enforcement.
  4. Parking issues in Sterry Road and discussion with Parking Enforcement.
  5. Ownership issues at Drovers Point.
  6. Individual issues for residents.

 

My next surgery at Gowerton Library is on Saturday the 4th of May from 11.00am to 12 noon.

 

 

 

15 REPORT OF THE CLERK

(a)Miscellaneous

  RESOLVED that:

1.  Community Engagement training course (USK).  Noted.

2.  Payments to Members and Councillors Allowance Opt Out Form supplied by OVW. Noted.

3.  Planning Aid Wales Network Event/Conference dates. Noted.

4.  Resident email re: incorrect name tagged on Temple Church.  Cllr Viv Davies will address this issue.  Further amendments to be made to text errors on website.

5.  Costings for work – ex police station -

Clerk to go through City and County of Swansea with regards to potential lease of unit next to Rechabite Hall.  Members will discuss viability of cots/work and discuss whether this is sustainable in an ongoing manner.  After careful consideration, unfortunately it was decided by all members that due to the mounting costs of fixing the building to a safe level, including interior changes and all work submitted by Councils report it was not a viable sustainable project that could be progressed by Council.  Clerk to contact Council and advise that members withdraw interest from this building lease.

 

15(b) Financial Matters

The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that the following payments are authorised:

 

Creditor

Item

£ Amount

 

VAT

 inc

 

 

 

 

 

 

a)

Sky

Telephone Adv. Charges

38.00

 

yes

b)

Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge

243.50

 

yes

c)

Sage One

Online payroll system

7.20

 

yes

d)

Poundstretcher

Plastic storage boxes

40.00

 

yes

e)

CCOS

Notice board (lockable)

2041.20

 

yes

15 (c)  Correspondence

The items of correspondence were noted.                               

16  PLANNING MATTERS

Following was resolved by Council:

1.  2019/0612 106 Sterry Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3BW Proposal: New shop front, change of use to mixed use Classes A1/A2, addition of doors at ground and first floor level and addition of roller shutter to west elevation, relocation of external fire escape and fenestration alterations.  Object due to already very limited parking in the area, and the proposals remove needed spaces in the vicinity.

2.  2019/0801/TPO 31 Ffordd Alltwen, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3HG Proposal: To fell one Willow tree covered by TPO No. 451,  No objection prior to tree officer deeming work necessary on health and safety grounds.

3.  2019/0857 1 Cae Mansel Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3HH FUL to change the pitched roof to a lean to type roof.  No Objection

                                                                                                                                                                               ………………………………….………

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Chairperson

Meeting closed at 9:05pm

We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

2 Castle Street

Swansea

SA4 6TU

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Ms S Thomas

07583 157571

Gowertoncommunitycouncil@gmail.com