The following minutes are a draft copy and have not yet been verified by Council and are subject to change.

 

 

GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Meeting of Council held at Gowerton Con Club at 7.30pm on Wednesday 2 March 2022

 

 

PRESENT:  Councillors Susan Jones, Gareth Evans, Paul Emmerton, Peter Morgan, Ann Guard, Amanda Guard, Barbara Small, Roz Holt, Pat Evans, Brian Edy, Matthew Palmer, Clerk to the Council:  Allison James.

 

90.        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE –  None

 

91.        DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None

 

92.        MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

93.        TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION: None

 

94.        COUNCIL MINUTES: 2 February 2022

.

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Cllr Barbara Small, Seconded by Cllr Ann Guard.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

95. TO RECEIVE THE REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Susan Jones

 

 It has been a very busy month with many issues in Gowerton.  Meetings are still on Teams with no face-to-face connections.  I held a surgery at the Library this month - any resident that has an individual issue can meet with myself. No appointments are needed.

  • The clearing of the field behind the Library has caused much concern, and the assurance that this is only to maintain the area and not to create a car park for YGG. 

“The work currently being carried out to the land you refer to is grounds maintenance works to cut back overgrown vegetation to ground level.  These works have been commissioned to improve the impact on neighbouring properties and minimise the risk of anti-social behaviour and fly tipping. “ Quote from the Education Department.


 

  • The Planning of the Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations are continuing to progress.  There is a meeting at the Conservative Club on the 8th of March at 7.00pm. For all who would like to be involved or have their opinions heard.  Everyone is welcome.  I have also given £500.00 from my Community Budget for these events.

 

3.    I have funded an Art Break Class in St. John’s Church Hall which is starting on the 8th. Of March from 10.30 - 12.30pm from my Community Budget.  This is free and the equipment is supplied again all abilities invited.

 

  1.  There is a project to promote “Safe Space” and hopefully Gowerton will be the pilot for this scheme.  The idea was presented to Donna (Local Area Coordinator) and myself form a resident in the village.  We have involved the Swansea Safer Partnership to give us guidance and provide training for this project.

 

5.   I have made contact with the new Gorseinon Division Inspector (Simon Trick) and discussed some of the issues in the village.  Also met with Leah Rainey the PCSO and discussed my concerns for the area with her.

 

6.   Dave Nicholson and I have progressed the installation of the Defibrillators in the Bishwell and Shaw Street area of the village.  Coastal Housing Group have agreed to install a defibrillator near their new housing development at George Manning Way.  They should all be installed soon.

 

7.   I have provided the Primary School with a flagpole which they will install on the site. There is a quiet/ thinking garden to be installed in the Primary School to ensure the wellbeing of the children which is of concern since the Covid Pandemic.  

 

8     The pavement from Clos Helyg to the crossing on the Inner link Road has been completed and this will ensure a safe route to the Primary School from the village.  I have contributed to this through my Community Budget.  There are areas where the Highway Department are altering the crossing near the C.K’s store and reducing the pavement near the Doctor’s Surgery - these are to increase the safety of our village.

 

9       I would like to put on record my thanks to the Mothers Union of St.John’s for their help with a vulnerable lady of the village.  Their help was much appreciated.

 

10.    I have purchased a strimmer for the Friends of the Woodland and open Spaces and have progressed the

planting outside the Library.  Also paid for the information plaque of the winding wheel which is displayed in the Library.

 

       11.  Congratulations to Mrs.Kath Pearce of Cedar Close on her 100th Birthday.

 

There have also been individuals that I have helped throughout this month.  I will be holding a surgery on Saturday the 5th of March from 11.00 to 12 noon at Gowerton Library

 

96.  REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

 

Cllr Gareth Evans

 

1. Pre-Election period before the May elections begin for all councils from 16th March 2022, during this period councils need to be careful that resources are not used to promote a particular candidate or party.

 

2. Two new duties for councils under the 2020 Local Government and Democracy (Wales) Act. Annual reports for 2021/2022 financial year need to be published from 1st April 2022, information should include the following;

 

a. Financial information (including precept), running costs and money spent.

b. Audits, the outcomes and dates of the latest internal audit, and the external audit by the Auditor General for Wales. Activities including objectives and community engagement.

 

3.Training plans now have to be introduced to include activities undertaken, the current expertise of Councillors and       Clerks, these are areas where all councils have sufficient skills and understanding to include-

   Basic induction for councillors 

   Code of conduct 

   Financial management and Governance 

The plan should have the minimum type of training, numbers participating, timeframe for completion and overall cost.

The first training plan must be ready for publication by 5th November 2022.

 

4.Meeting of the appointment committee of Governors for the Primary school for the vacancy of Deputy Headteacher, interviews will take place later this month with the post being filled after the summer holidays.

 

5.Arrangements for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations are progressing well with sub committees taking charge of various events from Thursday 2nd June to Sunday 5th June 2022, more detailed information to be discussed in Community council  meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

97 (B)  FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

 

             
               
               

Creditor

Subject

Net

VAT

Total

Budget Code

Notes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
               

HP instant ink

Charges to 1/2/22

13.74

2.75

16.49

GA

Opening bal 1/2/22

28875.16

Gowerton Conservative Club

Meeting refreshments

5.2

0

5.2

GA

   

HMRC

October

288.95

 

288.95

HMRC

   

HMRC

Nov

288.95

 

288.95

HMRC

   

HMRC

Dec

288.95

 

288.95

HMRC

   

Amazon Market Place

Jubliee Flag

10.82

2.17

12.99

E

   

Clerk Phone Allowance

February

34.12

4.87

38.99

CE

   

Bay Landscapes Ltd

January

202.92

40.58

243.5

GM

   

Bowen Hopkins

Xmas Lights

5699

1139.80

6838.80

E

   

Lottery Fund

Grant

-4000

0

-4000

GR

   

Clerk Salary

January

816.94

0

816.94

S

   
 

Total February 2022

 

 

4839.76

 

Closing bal 25/02/22

24035.4

               
               

Forthcoming payments to be authorised

           
               

Clerk Office Allowance

Jan 22-Mar 22

200

         

HMRC

Jan-22

288.95

         

HMRC

Feb-22

288.95

         

Bay Landscapes

Feb-22

243.5

         

Clerk Phone allowance

Mar-22

38.99

         
               
               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

97(c) CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

From 1 February to 22 February 2022, we received approximately 110 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

I received an email on 18 February 2022 to say that our grant application to The Lottery Fund has been successful and they are awarding us £4000 towards the Jubliee Celebrations.

 

I have had ongoing correspondence from Dean Mason with regards to the Jubliee Weekend Celebrations (please see attachment).

 

I have received an email from Swansea Council confirming that the land off Sterry Road behind the Commercial Pub is suitable for a bench, As soon as we pay, the installation will be booked in.  To be decided whether we pay for the bench out of unclaimed renumeration in 21/22 or do we pay for it out of grant money?

 

Our Instagram account has 231 posts and 401 followers.

 

 

 

 

 

98. QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS:

 

  1. Public liability – increase to £10m? Get a quote? Do we need insurance for the day?
  2. We need to order a cake for the Heroes reception.  Alison Pickard – Gorwydd Road for cake? Clerk to contact her.
  3. Bench – to be funded from renumeration. In commeration of the volunteers. Clerk to arrange.
  4. Cllr Sue Jones had meeting with Co Op. Promoting app for Co Op to raise funds for Gowerton Cricket Club.
  5. Cllr Roz Holt mentioned the potholes on Sterry road. Clerk to report, though it was mentioned that individuals can report such issues on the Swansea Council website.
  6. Cllr Howells asked if GCC could provide bunting for the Jubilee celebrations? It was agreed that each business/house should supply their own.
  7. Cllr Amanda Guard has been speaking with Rob Cross who has also emailed the Clerk. He would like to introduce an area in which the Community could help to grow fruit and vegetables. He also has some trees to plant. He suggested the land in the middle of the square but it was agreed by all that this is not a suitable place due to heavy traffic fumes etc. It was suggested that he might try schools and the residential homes.. We would like to accept the cherry trees, however, to go in the triangle of land opposite the library.
  8. Cllr Palmer mentioned the increased beer cans and smashed glass in the village. It was also noted that a lot of drug dealing packets have been littering the village in certain areas. We would encourage anyone finding evidence of drug dealing/use to ring 101 to report this.
  9. Cllr Morgan said that the work being on the Cefn Gorwydd site on Gorwydd Road is damaging the roads.  Add conditions request to any future planning comments as part of the application.
  10. Cllr Emmerton said that the Pedestrian crossing is causing problems near the vets – green man comes on without anyone pressing button. Causing big tail backs. Clerk to report.
  11. Cllr Brian Edy – bus shelter. Complaint about the smashed window. Chase up previous email. See if we can get a response.
  12. Module on Finance training for Brian Edy. Confirmed that Brian can attend.

 

  1. Cllr Holt said the bus stop sign near Gowerton school has disappeared. Clerk requested photo evidence to report to Swansea Council.

 

  1. Cllr Pat Evans said she attended a Community Engagement and
    Finance course. She said that with increasing pressures and targets to be met with audit regulations, Realtus software programme or similar might be beneficial. Clerk to research.
  2. Cllr Barbara Small – burst water main opposite Tesco – pavement came up –  take photo to send to Swansea Council.
  3. Cllr Gareth Evans – Ukraine – what can we do on behalf of Community Council. Under what power could we donate? It was agreed that our policy is to use funds within our local community. Therefore, we are unable to donate to any foreign aid.  Cllrs said that they would like to donate personally.
  4. Clerk to check with Mr Flag if any Ukraine flags available. Or amazon? Order flag to show our solidarity and support for the Ukraine community.
  5. Cllr Holt – been to station to do gardens. Permission to buy spring flowers. Cllr to purchase and obtain receipts for reimbursement.

 

 

99.        PLANNING:

 

 

Application No: 2021/0368/FUL Date Registered: 07.02.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2

Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258421 196357

Development Type: Householder Location: 13 William Bowen Close, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3HE

Proposal: Conversion of garage to ancillary living accommodation Applicant: Mr Andrew Swain

No objections.

 

Application No: 2022/0173/FUL Date Registered: 17.02.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2

Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258749 196748 Development Type: Householder Location: 29 Clos Leighton Davies, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3GG

Proposal: Two storey side extension, new rear access with gates and hardstanding Applicant: Mr Drew Gibson Agent: Mr Tom Gronow

No objection as long as it does not compromise current parking.

 

 Application No: 2022/0356/TPO Date Registered: 14.02.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2

Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258161 196316 Development Type: Tree Preservation Orders

Location: 12 Ffordd Alltwen, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3HG

Proposal: To lop one Oak tree covered by TPO 423

Applicant: Mr David Rumbelow Agent: Miss Rachel Downs

No objections.

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 21.32

 

Date of next meeting – Wednesday 6 April  2022 at Gowerton Conservative Club.

 

 

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                            

………………………………

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com