GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of Council held at via Microsoft Teams at 7.30pm on Wednesday 2 June 2021

PRESENT:  Councillors Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Viv Davies, Linda Bolchover, , Peter Morgan, Susan Jones (Ward Member), Paul Emmerton, Ros Holt. Clerk to the Council:  Allison James.

 

1.         APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Cllrs Lyneth Snodden-Howells, Barbara Small, Amanda Guard.

 

2.         REPORT OF THE RETIRING CHAIRPERSON

 

            Cllr Paul Emmerton

 

Although  my  period in office was shorter than anticipated due to the problems of the pandemic. I would like to thank my fellow Councillors and Clerk for their support during this period, the introduction of video meetings has not been easy, but we muddled through . Furthermore, the team was unable to run several of our annual events such as the art exhibition and Santa's grotto. Hopefully, we can start to reintroduce community activities in the near future. On the practical side, the council has planted two trees to acknowledge the efforts of our frontline workers during these difficult  times, along with a  Christmas tree which will, of course, grow over the coming years and could be seen as a symbol of a better future. I wish Gareth success in his role as chairman in 2021-2022.

 

3.         ELECT THE CHAIRPERSON FOR ENSUING YEAR.

           

            Cllr Gareth Evans was elected as the Chairperson for 2021/22 and gave the following report:

 

            Thanks to Paul for chairing for the past six months through a difficult period.

 

The events of the past year has presented the community with many challenges where communication was paramount at the individual and community level.

Our Community has been through the most difficult period of a further lockdown where everybody tried to support the most vulnerable. The vaccine rollout has been successful and a huge thanks must go to the NHS,GP Surgeries and all frontline workers ie. teachers who worked throughout to support keyworkers’ children and shop workers. As we ease restrictions and come out of lockdown, we must be mindful to maintain Government guidelines on safety in the community.

We must continue to support local businesses as they have supported the community. As a Community council we shall continue to work in close partnership with residents, schools and businesses and be proactive to any changes that lie ahead.

Since the pandemic, One voice Wales is reviewing its governance structures and will be issuing a revised Community and Town council manifesto. We now have a strategy co-ordination group to meet monthly that has now increased my workload. To re-iterate,there will be new laws and practices that will result in sector changes in the future that I am confident that we, as a council will be successful to meet any challenges.

 

 

4.         ELECT THE VICE-CHAIRPERSON FOR ENSUING YEAR.

 

            Cllr Peter Morgan was elected as Vice Chairperson for 2021/22.

 

5.         DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None.

 

6.         MEETINGS WITH: None held due to Covid-19 restrictions.

 

7.         TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – None

 

8.          TO CONSIDER THE COUNCIL MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 12 May 2021

 

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

9.         TO SET THE AMOUNT OF CHAIRPERSON’S ALLOWANCE IN PURSUIT OF S34(5) LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972.  The amount is set at £500.

 

10.A.      To appoint representatives to serve on the following bodies:

               

                a)  One Voice Wales Area Committee                      (2 Members)  Cllr Gareth Evans, Cllr Peter Morgan

                b)  CCS/Community Council Forum                           (2 Members)   Chair Person and Vice Chairperson

                c)  Area 2 Development Control Committee sites visits  (1Member)  Cllr Paul Emmerton

             d). Planning Committee (to be implemented only when timescale does not allow before next meeting

within consultation period). (3 Members)  Cllrs L Bolchover, V Davies, Ann Guard

e)  Rechabite Community Hall Management Committee  (1 Member)  Cllr G Evans

f)  Governing Body – Gowerton Primary    (1 Member)  Cllr G Evans

g)  Link person – Adopt a station scheme   (1 Member)  Cllr R Holt

 

10.B.     To appoint an internal auditor.  Lyn Llewellyn

 

10.C.     To fix dates and times of meetings for the year.  First Wednesday of each Month except for August when there is no meeting. Times to remain at 7.30pm

 

10.D      To consider working practice for the year:

              a)  Review of Standing Orders – No changes made.

                                                                          

11.         To receive any announcements from the incoming Chairperson.

 

 

12.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Report for Community Council for May 2021.

 

During this month, the City and County of Swansea has held it’s Annual General Meeting with some alterations to the Cabinet.   The new Mayor (Councillor Mary Jones of Killay) has been installed, with the Deputy Mayor (Councillor Mike Day of Sketty).  The last year the former Lord Mayor Councillor Mark Childs has had a very different year in office with many of the functions being online.  The meetings are still on TEAMS with no future plans to alter that system.  

 

This month has been very busy with a number of individual complaints and concerns being given to me.

 

The vandalism in the village continues with the fence from Fairwood Terrace to Alder Way being damaged on two consecutive weekends.  I have visited the resident on a few occasions and spoken to Highways regarding the adoption of this section of the path to try and get lighting installed.  I have also spoken to our Community Police team regarding this issue and arranged a meeting for residents to voice their concerns.  During the meeting, residents took us to an area at the end of Fairwood Terrace to see a ‘camp/ sitting area’ where there were concerns regarding drugs.  When we arrived at the site there were three young people in this area who were spoken to regarding drug taking and they were subsequently asked to leave this area.  

 

I have walked the new cycle path with Allison James, (Clerk to Community Council) and Oliver Wickes (Ramblers Cymru), to discuss the installation of maps for our footpaths.  Oliver has plans to speak to the Community Council on this issue.  There is funding available and Oliver provided us with some children friendly books to promote Family Friendly Routes.

 

It is great news that Mr And Mrs Ridd are back in their home after the lightning strike of June 2020 and I wish them all the best for the future.  

 

There have been a number of residents that have asked for Litter Picking Equipment to help to keep the village clean - I am awaiting information from the cleansing department.

 

Parkwood have had new pavements installed over the last two weeks and hopefully cars will not park on them and damage them.  Sterry Road resurfacing will commence for five days from the 4 June 2021.  The road closure will be overnight.  Hopefully, the businesses will not be affected too much.  Can I again appeal to all to Shop Local and support our Community.

 

The Park in Park Road refurbishment is imminent which will upgrade the equipment.  The Park will be closed for the installation to be completed.  I have asked that we have vandal proof resurfacing which is more expensive and am awaiting that costing.  I hope this facility will be looked after and not vandalised.  My intention is to write to both of the Comprehensive Schools to emphasize this.  Perhaps we should look at security cameras?

 

The Co Op window has displayed the work from the Primary School children who designed t-shirts and flags for the European Football Competition.  Well done to all the children who participated in this project, and thanks to Dan Jones the Manager of Gowerton  Co Op.

 

Talk and Walk on Wednesday Mornings at the Elba is going well, we meet at 10.00 am and all are welcome.  Last week we were joined by a young mum and her son.

 

I have visited the residents of Lliw Valley Close to discuss the new section of the Cycle Track up to the Railway Station with a map provided by City and County of Swansea.  At present,  there is a delay in this section with some details being discussed with the railway people.

 

I am awaiting a date to discuss the possible provision of a coffee shop/ container on the Elba Sports Complex.

 

 

 

13A.  REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

  1. I met up with Cllr Sue Jones and Oliver Wickes from Ramblers Cymru to walk the new path from Gowerton to Gorseinon and discuss options for leaflets. Oliver is keen to pursue a project with Community Council which will involve exploring local walking routes and providing information and leaflets to promote awareness to residents and visitors to the area.  Also, to provide some equipment to keep the routes clear, and to decide what routes might need more waymarkers.  There might also be funding available to install gates rather than styles so people who are unable to climb might use the walking routes.

 

We are planning to meet up again in June and hopefully Oliver will be able to join our monthly meeting in July via zoom to give you all some more information and answer any questions we might have.

 

  1. I have experienced problems with the PC recently – it is now back and working again.

 

  1. Problems logging on to Teams – I am unsure why some people experience difficulties when logging on to Teams but I am hoping that there will not be any problems on the next meeting.

 

  1. Busy times preparing for the audit. I shall be arranging to drop the files to the auditor within the next week I hope.

 

  1. Defibrillator order – we need to discuss quotes (see Corresondence) and order soon.

 

  1. I have sent in the VAT claim for 2020/21

 

  1. Accounts for 2020/21 reported and agreed. To be given to the internal auditor ASAP.

 

13B      FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

 

Order Number

Date

Creditor

Subject

Net

VAT

Total

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

             

8

05/05/2021

Bay Landscapes Ltd

Monthly charge for grass cutting etc - March

202.92

40.58

243.5

9

05/05/2021

Bay Landscapes Ltd

Monthly charge for grass cutting etc - April

202.92

40.58

243.5

10

06/05/2021

Clerk Phone Allowance

Month of April

34.48

3.73

38.21

11

06/05/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 May 2021

13.74

2.75

16.49

12

06/05/2021

Mike Edmunds

Reimbursement of Garden Supplies

35.96

0

35.95

13

06/05/2021

One Voice Wales

Membership 2021

774

0

774

14

10/05/2021

HMRC

Tax for April 2021

279.36

0

279.36

15

10/05/2021

Clerk

Reimbursement of Lap Top

115.83

23.16

138.99

16

19/05/2021

Clerk

Monthly phone allowance

20.76

3.19

23.95

17

19/05/2021

McAfee Security

Annual subscription

59.99

0

59.99

18

25/05/2021

Clerk Salary

Month of May

816.94

0

816.94

19

25/05/2021

Swansea Council

Design Print - Notice board correction

45

9

54

20

25/05/2021

Post Office

Stamps and envelopes

13.2

0

13.2

 

 

 

13.C     CORRESPONDENCE

 

During the period 1-29 May, I received over 200 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

An email was sent to the Welsh Office expressing our view as Community Council on Planning applications and the ability to change them once conditions have been agreed. We feel this should not be allowed to happen.

 

I received an email from Calon Hearts Debrillators giving us a price for a defibrillator and cabinet. I will arrange to get this installed as discussed in previous meetings. Details as below.

 

Re: Application for a defibrillator Ref. No. 102105

 

Thank you for your online application for a defibrillator and external locked cabinet for Gowerton Community Council.

 

We are currently able to offer £200 towards the cost of each Defibrillator we supply and are also able to offer package deals.

 

The Defibrillator we supply is the advanced dual functioning Defibrillator. (8-year Warranty).  Please see attachment below. Meaning it can be applied to an child or adult with just a flick of a switch instead of having to change the pads.

 

The usual cost for a Defibrillator is £995.00 however taking into account our £200 donation, the required minimum donation for the Defibrillator is currently £795.00.

 

Additional products include external & internal cabinets and internal wall brackets. See Attachment

 

 

Included in the £795.00 is:

 

1x Defibrillator

 

1 x AED Battery – 5 year lifespan

 

1 x Carry Case

 

2 x Sets of AED Pads - 2 year lifespan (or after each use as they are not re-useable)

 

2 x AED Starter Kits

 

FREE Defibrillator Awareness and CPR training session for up to 50 people – a HUGE saving!

 

 

In addition, the package offers we are able to provide you are:

 

 

Defibrillator & Internal Unlocked White Cabinet £895.00

 

Defibrillator & External Unlocked Stainless Steel Cabinet £1295.00 (£100 extra if being placed in an old phone box)

 

Defibrillator & External Locked Stainless Steel Cabinet £1325.00 (£100 extra if being placed in an old phone box)

 

 

As a charity we are fortunate enough to work alongside a team of ambulance service trained first aid responders which means we are able to provide a FREE CPR & Defibrillator Awareness Training session arranged at your location and convenience, for up to 50 people with the defibrillators we supply. This is usually a very high hidden additional cost when procuring a defibrillator through other companies.

 

 

I received an email from a resident saying the phone box on Cecil Road is due to be removed and could we save it? This phone box is no longer working and is overgrown with weeds and is full of rubbish. The glass has been smashed and is a health hazard. To discuss at meeting.

 

An email received from a resident on Clos Bevan asking if the tree guards could be removed from the young trees along the culvert on Bryn y Mor Road as they are unsightly.  I drove past to take a look and I do think the trees still have much growing to do before these can be removed. To discuss at meeting.

 

I received a phone call from Contented Sole Fish and Chip shop asking when the hanging baskets are due to arrive. I replied that they should be delivered anytime soon but I will ring Alan Hughes to confirm after the bank holiday.

 

Social Media – Gowerton Community Council Instagram account now has 302 followers and 127 posts. Most followers are local residents and businesses. I am posting local information and promoting local businesses.

 

 

 

 

14. QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS:

 

  1. Cllr Guard said that the fence along the car park and playing Fields in the Elba is dangerous. Cllr Sue Jones said she had raised this with Freedom Leisure and it is on going.
  2. Cllr Holt said that she has received the travel vouchers for 2020. These were delayed this year due to the pandemic. If any organisations would like to apply for vouchers, please get in touch with Cllr Holt.
  3. Cllr Holt said that a resident would like to donate horse chestnut tree.  Clerk to contact Martin Bignell from Swansea Council to discuss location.

 

 

15. PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

Application No: 2021/1111/PLD Date Registered: 04.05.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Pending Decision Map Ref: 258621 196802 Development Type: All Others (CPLDS, Prior etc)

 Location: 16 Ffordd Y Gamlas, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DT Proposal: Single storey rear extension and addition of a ground floor window to the existing side elevation (Application for Certificate of Proposed Lawful Development)

Applicant: Mr. Paul James Agent: Mr. Wyn Evan

 

Council to object on the grounds of it is too close to the boundary and will be overlooking the house next door.

 

 

Application No: 2021/1312/FUL Date Registered: 12.05.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259170 196265 Development Type: All Other Minor Dev

Location: Eclipse , Woodlands, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DP Proposal: Change of use of Tanning Studio (Class D1) to (Class A1)

Applicant: Mr Stephen Williams Agent:

 

No objection.

 

 

Application No: 2021/1278/PLD Date Registered: 17.05.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258035 196486 Development Type: All Others (CPLDS, Prior etc)

Location: Land Adjacent To Brynymor Road, Gowerton, Swansea, , , Proposal: Change of use of former coal washery (Class B2) to storage (Class B8) (Application for a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Development)

Applicant: Mr Anthony Beynon Agent: Mr Mike Morgan

 

Council to object on the grounds of air pollution and noise.

 

Date of next meeting is 7 July 2021.

 

 

Meeting closed at 20.58

 

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                            

………………………………

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com