GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the  Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 6th June 2019

PRESENT:  Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Paul Emmerton, Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Ros Holt,

Beveley Jenkins, Susan Jones and Barbara Small

 

ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas

 

17.       APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Cllr(s) Viv Davies

 

18.       DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS:  none received

 

19.       MEETINGS WITH:  None required

 

20.   TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – None received

 

21.  COUNCIL MINUTES: 1st May 2019

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Except to note minor spelling mistakes.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted.   Cllr Holt advised that she is not satisfied with the current landscape contractor, and members agreed that this work is advisable to go out to tender.

 

22. REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

Cllr Jones gave the following report:

May/June 2019 Report for Community Council.

Meetings attended:-

Joint meeting of Child and Family Performance Panel and Education Performance Panel, AGM of Council

Annual Scrutiny Conference to consider Work Planning, Schools Scrutiny Panel and Governor meetings in both Comprehensive and Primary Schools

 

Training attended:-

Planning Training because I have been allocated membership of the Planning Committee, Statutory Advocacy Training and Ash Dieback Presentation.

Visits made:-

Food bank in the Welfare Hall in Waunarlwydd – this services people from Gowerton, Ty-Waunarlwydd residential and Day Service in conjunction with Adult Services Scrutiny and Community Awareness Event at Gorseinon Fire Station.

Freedom of the City with Alun Wyn Jones –

Veteran Group.

Mansion House celebration with former Councillors reaching 90 years of age.

Coffee Morning in Clive Harris the Undertakers to raise funds for the First Responders in the village.

I attended the Primary Partners Event in the Grand – Gowerton Primary School performed well and should be congratulated on a fine colourful contribution to the show.  Well Done to all.

Issues in the village:-

1.The Scout Hut ‘s Lease has been reorganised and the conditions are being assessed.  There has been an increase of the yearly rent to £780.00. I am negotiating with the council to allow the Scout’s to be able to rent the building, and looking at the shared parking area with the Library.  I have also paid for security lights to be established on the building because there have been a few issues in the parking area. There is a possibility of the Police using this building as their base in the village, to prevent them signing on in Gorseinon and then working in Gowerton – this would ensure that we have a longer police presence in the village.  The negotiations are ongoing.

2. I have meet with Highway Officers regarding the adoption of Drovers Point.  Officers are considering  all options and will be making a statement shortly for the residents.

3. I have been approached by a resident regarding the contract to the RNIB being cut.  This organisation deals with over 800 people throughout Swansea arranging for visits from volunteers to address loneliness, to advising on aides and adaptations for newly diagnosed people and training to prevent accidents and promote independence for visually impaired people.  

4. Another resident has asked me to consider the reducing respite facilities for people with Learning Disabilities – these two services are essential for people to be able to cope with their situations.

5.  The drainage problems in the carpark of the Elba have hopefully been addressed – the children were getting wet feet every time it rained while being picked up from School.

6. Enforcement Action is progressing on the issues of Fairwood Tce (rubbish being dumped on the old garage site).  

7. The Veterans Group are organising a Community Event on the 3rd. of August at the Commercial Hotel.  I have given them a sum of money to use this celebration to include the 50th. Anniversary of Swansea becoming a City. So hopefully it will be well supported.

8.  The Deputy Chief Executive (Adam Hill) visited the village to have a chat about the various issues and aspirations for the village.  

9.  I have arranged for the footpath at the end of Fairwood Terrace to be cleaned by the NEAT team.  The litter bin requested for that area has been refused because the Authority are not installing any at this time.

10.  Still awaiting progress on the junction at Elba Street alterations.

11. Parking issues at the Sterry Road bus stop area still on going.  Access into drives and garages is being compromised by indiscriminate parking on Council land.

12. Investigating grants yo assist Gowerton Cricket Club.  Cricket Club are organising another Celebration Day to raise funds for the renovation of the Pavilion.

13.  Presentation of Cheque to Marie Curie for £2,000 by Cor Waunarlwydd for the Memorial Concert for my husband (Ieuan Jones) has taken place.  Thank you all once more for your support.

14.  Ash Dieback is a very serious problem throughout Britain, assessments are taking place in Swansea and land owners should ensure that Ash trees are checked on their land. Safety is a priority for the Authority.

 

23.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

Cllr Gareth Evans gave the following report:

  • Attended NEC meeting with One Voice Wales on 9th June which covered the following points:

a) Independent Review Panel report regards to tax relief for annual payments to Councillors.  The Chair and CEO of One Voice Wales would raise the issues with the Welsh Government Minister to see if she could use her influence to arrange for HMRC to meet with them both to discuss the matter in depth.  We shall see how they get on!

b) Costs of Local By elections were discusses as these seem to vary in Wales.

c)  Local Community Planning Engagement.

  • With regards to the 9 Bishwell Rd property, there has been no further progress made however to date some items have been removed.
  • For info.  Ex Cllr Mike Sander has had another operation several weeks ago and is hoping to see consultant shortly.  With regards to the Gorwydd Rd site, he has been in touch with POBL the consortium and they have assured him of communicating any future works.  Mr. Sander advised that he has seen several surveyors on site but no more work has taken place.

 

24. REPORT OF THE CLERK

(a)           Miscellaneous

The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that:

1.   Information re: Ash Tree – Pont Y Cob.  Martin Bignell has advised that he has inspected the tree which appears in good health.  Members advised that it would be wise to check whether remocal of the ivy which covers the trunk of tree should be removed.

2.  Gower Phase One – Badger Vaccination.  Invite to present information at next meeting.

3.  Basic Online learning modules – One Voice Wales. Noted.

4.  Textile Bank potential in Gowerton.

5. One Voice Wales Innovative Practice conference – 10th July 2019

6. Gower Hedgerow Hub information and content

7. Consideration of 2018/19 annual accounts. Clerk went through a detailed account summary of the financial year. Council formally resolved to adopt these accounts and approve Statement of Assurance of completion and adoption of Accounts. 

24(b)  Financial Matters

1.      For Payment The following items are for authorization/ratification:

 

Creditor

Item

£ Amount

 

VAT

 inc

 

 

 

 

 

 

a)

Sky

Telephone Adv. Charges

38.00

 

yes

b)

Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge

243.50

 

yes

c)

Sage One

Online payroll system

7.20

 

yes

d)

HP

Monthly printer ink

7.99

 

yes

e)

Clerk

Mileage

30.60

 

no

 

24(c) CORRESPONDENCE –

 The items of correspondence were noted.   

 

25   QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS

1.  Cllr Holt gave the following report with regards to the Transport for Wales Conference she attended at Carmarthen:

New Operator Keolis Army but the Welsh Government wanted name to be Transport for Wales.

There has been a promise there will be 421 new trains on network by 2022/23, they have been ordered from Spain and Switzerland but are being assembled in Newport.

Changing timetables: More trains will be put on over the weekend, 350 more seats available for morning rush hour; 250 for evenings. There will be 5 trains a day on the Heart of Wales Line.

They will be spending 200 million on station improvements.

There will be free WIFI on all stations by 2020 and CCTV on all stations by 2023.

They will appoint 22 station ambassadors to encourage people to use trains and make them familiar with stations and train travel and comfortable using them.

Disused buildings on stations to be brought into use as community spaces and encourage local businesses to take over cafes etc., not large chains.

2.  For info – Temple church is looking really beautifully presented at the moment, and it would be nice if there was some seating in the front of the church.  Advised that church would need to write formally to Council to request funding if required.

3.  For info, Some works have been carried out on rear of a property (rear of Gorwydd Rd onto Woodlands) some concern locally as to whether this would be used for vehicle access, however it appears this will not be the case.

4.  For info.  A Brynymor Rd resident has reported some speeding issues in this area.

5.  Gowerton Skate Park; there was an office from CCOS who attended the Council meeting some time ago with regards to some funding available for an update of Gowerton Skate Park.  It was noted that it was unfortunate that this didn’t come to fruition.  For info.

6.  Inner relief Rd/Elba Street; the brambles are overgrowing in this areas and maintenance needs to come and cut all this overgrowth down.

7.  For info.  Enquiry was made with regards to whether the trains are still taking bus passes on the mid wales line.  As far as members are aware this is acceptable between October to March.

8.  The pavement outside Lullabella is in an awful state, this has been previously reported. There have been several works taking place in the area and the pavement subsequently has suffered.

9.  Glanmorfa Trees.  Clerk to remind Martin Bignell that these are still in need of works to be carried out as they continue to drop large branches in poor weather conditions.

10. With regards to the unfortunate tweet sent out with regards to TV presenter from Gowerton Primary’s twitter page; the staff member who posted this in error has been dealt with accordingly and the school’s Governing Body will be looking into its social media policy.

11.  Cllr Holt advised members how well Gowerton Primary recently performed in athletics competition at Ashleigh Rd.  Gowerton Primary came first!  Congratulations to be given.

12.  Cllr Viv Davies emailed the following report due to her absence and this was read out in full by Cllr Evans:

‘Arranged for edging to go into square garden to separate summer bedding from the spring bedding.Noted

Placed to slabs so that the Notice Board is easier to access. Planted marigolds in shape of 50 to commemorate Swansea City status. The cost of this is now owing to me £22.70 +£10.36 = £33.06 I would like this to be in a chq. Clerk to arrange

Also could I ask for the position on the Chairman gratuity of £500. I have projects which I need this money to fund. One of them to place a semi mature blue spruce in the green area. This will provide a substantial tree for the Community Council to regard as a Christmas Tree. I have already sourced this and the supplier can deliver and will do a deal. Again I would prefer this to be in chq form. Clerk to arrange

I am sorry I am missing the Powerpoint presentation on our finances. The only query I have is whether we will see a bank statement to confirm that the calculations on the presentation concur with what we have in the Bank. I think this is a usual audit requirement. Noted

 Could I please remind Serena to ensure that arrangements are made for at least 3 new signatories with identification, to visit Barclays Bank in Gorseinon to complete the required documents. (This was the procedure when a similar account was opened by our local group). Clerk to arrange.

I have made initial enquiries with Swansea Council about a replacement waste bin near the Bus stop in Mill St. Most of you are aware of this and perhaps can make a decision on how you want to proceed.

I have prepared a corrected section to go on the Notice Board map for the United Reformed Church. Noted

 I have put some new notices including a Police initiative and details of local cultural groups.

There is a rather low branch of a copper beech tree growing out over the Bypass nearing Pont Y Cob. It would hit a large pantechnicon.

The pavement outside the Nail Bar is still rough and unfinished and in a dangerous state. (Although the Council covered the pavement near the new Notice Board. I didn’t think that it warranted it and hadn’t requested it)

The square of insulation foam and a pallet behind the post box near Dan Yr Allt have not been picked up by the Council.’

 

 

26   PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

1. 2019/1119  24 Mount Pleasant, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3EN Proposal: New hard standing and front access ramp.  No Objection.

 

2. 2019/0676 Savona, Gowerton Road, Penclawdd, Swansea, SA4 3RB Proposal: Addition of first floor, front external staircase, two storey front extension to create eight holiday lets.  No Objection, however existing covenant on property needs to be checked in case of any repercussions.

 

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 9:20pm                                                                                              

Chairperson

………………………………

We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

2 Castle Street

Swansea

SA4 6TU

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Ms S Thomas

07583 157571

Gowertoncommunitycouncil@gmail.com