GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL
CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR
Minutes of the meeting held at Gowerton Con Club at 7.30pm on Wednesday 6 July 2022
PRESENT: Councillors Ros Holt, Susan Jones, Gareth Evans, Peter Morgan, Ann Guard,
Lyneth Howells, Matt Palmer, June Merrells, Pat Evans. Barbara Small. Clerk to the Council: Allison James.
Ward member, Cllr Dai Jenkins.
27. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Cllrs Brian Edy, Gareth Evans, Amanda Guard, Kaylie Ridgeway
28. DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None
29. MEETINGS WITH: None required
30. TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION: None
31. COUNCIL MINUTES: 8 June 2022
a) The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Cllr Ann Guard, Seconded by Cllr Lyneth Howells.
b) Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.
32. TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE WARD MEMBERS:
REPORT FROM WARD MEMBER, COUNCILLOR SUE JONES
During the past month I have attended many training session for all the Councillors in the City and County of Swansea. These have been very informative, and it has been good to refresh my knowledge. This has again been a very busy month: -
REPORT FROM WARD MEMBER, COUNCILLOR DAI JENKINS
Since our last meeting on 18th May 2022, I have been busy attending excellent online training sessions to enhance my skills as a new councillor for Gowerton Ward. I continue to report any potholes I observe in the village and post them on Gowerton Guardians site for visibility, so residents know someone’s reported them. I have spoken with Dean at the Commercial and have permission to hold a Dog Show there. I am thinking perhaps a Sunday afternoon in September, so it doesn’t clash with any school holidays, and maybe the weather will be a little cooler for the dogs. I have also spoken with The Commercial, The Conservative club and Rugby Club about my idea for a Gowerton Mastermind Competition. I have tried calling Mansel (Micky Mouse) and have had no answer so I will be visiting there soon to discuss the event- possibly one for around March as I hope to run Christmas Quizzes in December so would be too close to that I believe, we shall see. I have been approached for advice and to help if Gowerton decide to have a carnival day in 2023- more than happy to help in any way I can. I always run the treasure hunt part in Waunarlwydd. (The carnival is a weeklong event). This year it is Tuesday 19th July 2022 and being run from The Farmers. Teams start 4.30pm to 6.30pm, so if you want to come and support it all money goes to local charities, needless to say I can run one of those for you if you ever wanted, it is normally quite a fun event.
I have been contacted by residents and I am dealing or have dealt with the following
I helped to deliver the leaflets advertising the Jubilee events, attended meetings and matched Sue Jones contribution of £500 out of the community budget to help with the organisation of proceedings. Enjoyed the Thursday picnic and assisting with security and stewarding on Friday. Meeting the Lord Lieutenant Louise Fleet on the Sunday along with Mike Day our Lord Mayor- celebrating community spirit of those that helped Gowerton’s residents during the pandemic. What can you say about Saturday nights tribute bands, absolutely amazing night I was so proud to see the work by others bringing a smile to the faces of many and I wish to place in my report, my sincere thanks to everyone involved in creating positive memories for everyone.
33. REPORT OF THE CLERK
33b FINANCIAL MATTERS
During the month of June we received approx. 200 emails.
These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.
Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.
I have been copied in to emails from Cllr Susan Jones regarding issues in the village she has received as Ward Member which she has reported.
Also emails from Cllr Dai Jenkins, Ward Member, regarding queries with the land behind the Scout Hut and who maintains it.
I received a lovely email from Mike Morrell who took photos of the jubilee events and said how much he enjoyed seeing the various events and was happy to be part of it.
I have had correspondence from Compton regarding the tree guards near the Culvert. They said the land belongs to them but the Council put the tree guards there, Compton are happy for them to be removed. I will contact Swansea Council.
Our Instagram account has 302 posts and 470 followers.
34. QUESTIONS RELATIVE TO COUNCIL BUSINESS
1. Following on from Cllr Dai Jenkins report, Cllr Peter Morgan Peter Morgan said that the response from Swansea Council regarding the speed bumps is not acceptable. Did they do analysis before putting in speed bumps? Risk analysis and cost analysis? Cllr Morgan is to compose an email.on behalf of Community Council for Clerk to send to Swansea Council.
2. Cllr Matt Palmer mentioned point 21.1 of Cllr Jenkins report with regard to the Neat team. He asked what is Cllr Jenkins understanding about the teams and what they do, as the information from Cabinet member for communities and ward member was inconsistent. Cllr Jenkins explained that the Cabinet member had been away on holiday and there was a delay in receiving the information.
3. Cllr Matt Palmer said that the path off Oakwood Drive and going towards Dunvant has had a lot of anti social behaviour. Drug equipment found there along with a 3 inch blade knife. Reported to PCSO who came to dispose of the knife. It was agreed to write to Police Inspector Simon Trick to voice our concerns. Also a lady was threatened by cyclists. Halfway along path from Oakwood, near the Brick works in Dunvant.
4. Cllr Pat Evans asked if Community Council could fund a gift for Twinning? Community Council are not allowed to fund gifts, following guidance from OVW.
5. Bypass near the Commercial Pub – weeds around the floral displays. Clerk to report.
6. Cllr June Merrells mentioned the new estate - George Manning Way. New residents speeding down and not looking right. Cllr Sue Jones has mentioned this in her report. Ward members are going to meet with Coastal Housing.
7 Cllr Barbara Small said there is Japanese knotweed on Garrod avenue. Clerk to report it.
8 Glanmorfa – trees on side of road very high. The branches fall down on the houses when windy. Cllr Dai Jenkins
said he would go to go take photos.
9 The bench we funded has been installed
10. Barriers from commercial over to CKS. Lights stop all the traffic. Ward member to speak to officers.
11. Welcome to Gower. Guttering is collapsing and facia board hanging off. Clerk to write to the owner (gower brewery).
12. Cllr Peter Morgan said during the heavy rain there was a big mud slick out of Cefn Gorwydd site. Vehicles are still parking dangerously on Gorwydd Road. Cllr Morgan to send contact name to Clerk as previous contact as left.
13. Cllr Lyneth Howells – Phil and Pippa Pugh kindly cleaned up the Temple Church front, weeding etc. Clerk to send thank you letter.
14. Street cleaning on Sterry Road is needed after the refuse lorry has been on Fridays. Put request to Swansea Council.
15. Cllr Edy was unable to attend the meeting but sent an email saying “I reported an incident to the police about a youth repeatedly riding a motorbike/scrambling in the Shaw woods. The woods are a nature reserve and should be protected and respected.
The Police/PCSO responded swiftly and spoke to some youths. There has been no occurrence.
I would like to record my thanks to the Police for their swift response. “
26. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
Application No: 2022/1266/PLD Date Registered: 01.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2
Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259392 196017 Development Type: All Others (CPLDS, Prior etc) Location: 56 Gorwydd Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3AQ Proposal: Single storey rear extension (Application for a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Development) Applicant: Mr Charlie Jones Agent: Mr Matt John
Application No: 2022/0718/FUL Date Registered: 14.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2
Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259617 195726 Development Type: Householder Location: 2 Bishwell Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3AU Proposal: Conversion of garage to living accommodation Applicant: Mr Stephen Higgins Agent
Gowerton Community Council has no objections.
Application No: 2022/1459/FUL Date Registered: 22.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2
Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259196 196192 Development Type: Householder Location: 7 Woodlands, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DP Proposal: Two storey, part single storey rear extension and side boundary wall Applicant: Mr Barry King Agent: Mr Barry King
Gowerton Community Council has no objections.
Application No: 2022/1492/FUL Date Registered: 24.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2
Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259084 196317 Development Type: Householder Location: 75 Sterry Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3BN Proposal: Two storey side and rear extension and rear garden retaining wall and steps Applicant: Stefano Agent: Andrew Evaso
Gowerton Community Council has no objections.
Date of next meeting - 7 September 2022.
Meeting closed at 21.37