GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the meeting held at Gowerton Con Club at 7.30pm on Wednesday 6 July 2022

 

 

PRESENT:  Councillors Ros Holt, Susan Jones, Gareth Evans, Peter Morgan, Ann Guard,

 Lyneth Howells, Matt Palmer, June Merrells, Pat Evans. Barbara Small.  Clerk to the Council:  Allison James.  

 

Ward member, Cllr Dai Jenkins. 

 

27.        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Cllrs Brian Edy, Gareth Evans, Amanda Guard, Kaylie Ridgeway

 

 

28.        DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None

 

29.        MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

30.        TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION: None

 

31.        COUNCIL MINUTES: 8 June 2022

.

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Cllr Ann Guard, Seconded by Cllr Lyneth Howells.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

32.        TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE WARD MEMBERS:         

 

REPORT FROM WARD MEMBER, COUNCILLOR SUE JONES

 

During the past month I have attended many training session for all the Councillors in the City and County of Swansea.  These have been very informative, and it has been good to refresh my knowledge.  This has again been a very busy month: -

 

  1. Managed to plant up the front of the library alongside a volunteer - this has enhanced the area.  A big thank you to Brian Davies "Country Stores" for donating the hanging basket for the Library on condition that it is watered.  Our Librarian, Pat Perkins, is happy with the result of this project.  There have also been problems with parking outside the library again and it prevents elderly and disabled members to be able to access this facility.  I have written regarding this issue to encourage people to be more considerate.
  2. There has been a meeting to discuss the provision of a Pelican Crossing outside the Rugby Club.  An assessment is being carried out by the Highway Department to start the process.
  3. The issue of parking along Fairwood Terrace has again been reported and I have written to the Rugby Club, the Police and the Traffic section of the highway department regarding people parking indiscriminately.  Highways have given details to both the Rugby and Cricket Club to inform them when any event is happening, and they will try and send traffic wardens out to address the parking.  Car owners have to take consideration of the residents in this area.  Both the Rugby and Cricket Club advise that parking on double yellow lines is an offence and consideration should be exercised.
  4. The Surgery carpark lease has been given to the Doctors and they are now responsible for that area.
  5. There is great concern with the new development of George Manning Way.  The increase of speeding traffic and the lack of appropriate access onto Mount Pleasant from George Manning and Pen y Dre.  I have again written to the Highway Department regarding this.  The allocation of the houses has started and hopefully connections to Gowerton are being considered as I was promised.
  6. Thanks to Donna Kendal we have received funding to continue with the Tuesday Art Class at St. John's Church Hall.  Tina Grant the lady who runs the class is now under the umbrella of the Glyn Vivian and is hoping to arrange speakers etc.  New members are always welcomed.
  7. I attended the The Gowerton Cricket Club Celebration Lunch sponsored by JCP Solicitors in the Marque at the Athletic Ground.  The Gowerton Cricket Team played the M.C.C before the lunch and the entertainment was Owen Money.
  8. I also attended the Annual Charity Cricket Match in aid of the Rhodri Jones Memorial Appeal between Gowerton and Waunarlwydd.
  9. The defibrillator has been installed at the bottom of the Bishwell.  There has been a complaint regarding it being put near the dog fouling bin.  After many months of trying to find a suitable situation, this has been the last resort.  I have approached highways to establish where underground cables are, asked a householder who declined, looked at the area at the side of Bryn Clos but it would have affected the vision on entering Gorwydd Road, so rather than keep it in an office out of use it has been sited on the same pole as the dog bin.  I would like to place on record my thanks to Coastal Housing for the installation of the defibrillator that has been positioned in the new development of George Manning Way.
  10. I have started volunteering in “Messy Church”. Which is being held in the Church Hall of St.Barnabas in Waunarlwydd.  This is for the Adults and Children from both Waunarlwydd and Gowerton.  Look out for the next date when it is to be held.
  11. I have had discussions with the Inspector Simon Trick and PCSO John Breslin regarding the village.  
  12. I attended the Memorial Cricket Match for Graham Young who was President of Gowerton Cricket Club and unfortunately passed away in the last few months.  He will be very much missed and always remembered.
  13. I held my monthly surgery at Gowerton Library on the first Saturday of the month.
  14. The dreaded speed bumps.  I have been in discussion with my colleague Cllr.Dai Jenkins and Safety Officer (Alan Ferris) and there will be an assessment in about 6 months to see their effect.  I would suggest that residents contact the Highway Department with their concerns and alternative suggestions.
  15. There have again been individual issues that I have dealt with and because of confidentiality I am unable to involve you.

 

 

REPORT FROM WARD MEMBER, COUNCILLOR DAI JENKINS

 

Since our last meeting on 18th May 2022, I have been busy attending excellent online training sessions to enhance my skills as a new councillor for Gowerton Ward. I continue to report any potholes I observe in the village and post them on Gowerton Guardians site for visibility, so residents know someone’s reported them. I have spoken with Dean at the Commercial and have permission to hold a Dog Show there. I am thinking perhaps a Sunday afternoon in September, so it doesn’t clash with any school holidays, and maybe the weather will be a little cooler for the dogs. I have also spoken with The Commercial, The Conservative club and Rugby Club about my idea for a Gowerton Mastermind Competition. I have tried calling Mansel (Micky Mouse) and have had no answer so I will be visiting there soon to discuss the event- possibly one for around March as I hope to run Christmas Quizzes in December so would be too close to that I believe, we shall see. I have been approached for advice and to help if Gowerton decide to have a carnival day in 2023- more than happy to help in any way I can. I always run the treasure hunt part in Waunarlwydd. (The carnival is a weeklong event). This year it is Tuesday 19th July 2022 and being run from The Farmers. Teams start 4.30pm to 6.30pm, so if you want to come and support it all money goes to local charities, needless to say I can run one of those for you if you ever wanted, it is normally quite a fun event.

 

I have been contacted by residents and I am dealing or have dealt with the following

 

  1. Food box dumped in Pont Y Cob Road, reported, and removed.
  2. The dip between Gorwydd Road and Woodland – Reported all the overhanding trees and grass that need cutting back.
  3. Woodland Terrace itself, residents can’t park their cars properly due to over handing branches – reported those.
  4. Requested a laminate sign (or permission myself) to put it by the bin in the children’s play area as people are placing dog waste bags into that bin, and it’s very unhygienic for the children (and parents/ guardians) having to experience that offensive smell.
  5. New cycle track off Alder Way, reported the grass protruding over the path causing cyclist to swerve, asked for that to be cut back.
  6. Overhanging branches on footpath B4295 opposite Tescos- reported same, branches causing issues on the other side of the fence into Llys Baldwin.
  7. Two complaints about former Gorwydd Colliery Morganstone site- one I advised to produce more evidence, one that did produce evidence resulting in Enforcement/query reference ENF2022/1059.

 

I helped to deliver the leaflets advertising the Jubilee events, attended meetings and matched Sue Jones contribution of £500 out of the community budget to help with the organisation of proceedings. Enjoyed the Thursday picnic and assisting with security and stewarding on Friday. Meeting the Lord Lieutenant Louise Fleet on the Sunday along with Mike Day our Lord Mayor- celebrating community spirit of those that helped Gowerton’s residents during the pandemic. What can you say about Saturday nights tribute bands, absolutely amazing night I was so proud to see the work by others bringing a smile to the faces of many and I wish to place in my report, my sincere thanks to everyone involved in creating positive memories for everyone.

 

 

 

33.  REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

33a       MISCELLANEOUS

 

  1. The file has come back from the internal auditor without any issues and can be sent to the external auditor. The notice of Electors rights has been put on the website and in the notice board.

 

  1. The issue of Japanese knotweed near 94 Brynymor Road has been passed to Swansea Council after confirmation that Gowerton Community Council do not own the land.

 

  1. All hanging baskets are now up in the village and look lovely. I shall be invoicing business for them very soon.

 

  1. I have spoken to Rowena Moyse at the request of the Chairperson, and she has 4 and 11 December 2022 free at the moment. Date of xmas parade to be decided. It was agreed that 11 December is the most suitable date. Clerk to confirm with Rowena Moyse.

 

  1. Forms to be completed by authorised signatories since Paul Emmerton has resigned. New signatory to be decided. It was decided that Ros Holt would be the new signatory.

 

  1. I have had information that we cannot fund gifts from Council money.  This is to be confirmed in writing by One Voice Wales.  Email has been received from OVW confirming the situation.

 

  1. Email from Dean Mason regarding the Cricket event on 5 August 2022. Requesting volunteers to help out and possible donation towards funding. Agreed to donate £300 towards Safety Marshals.

 

  1. Email from Dean Mason giving feedback following the Jubilee events and suggesting future events for Gowerton. Possible 3 day event over summer bank holiday? It was agreed that this would be a good idea but more volunteers are needed.

 

  1. I have reviewed the budget for 22/23 after the first quarter this year.  We currently have £15k underspend, mainly thanks to using grant money to fund the jubilee events and we have received a VAT return of £3k from last years invoices.  However, we must continue to be prudent wherever possible if we are to avoid an increase on our precept for the next few years.

 

 

 

33b       FINANCIAL MATTERS

46

Bank Transfer

01/06/2022

GAP

Providing childrens discos

250

GR

47

visa

06/06/2022

Home Bargains

Jubilee supplies - table cloths

3.87

GR

48

visa

06/06/2022

Rake and Riddle

Voucher

50

GR

 

 

49

Bank Transfer

06/06/2022

Rachael Wood - singer

Balance due

100

GR

50

visa

06/06/2022

HP instant ink

ink

16.49

GR

51

visa

06/06/2022

Asda

Jubilee items

34.5

GR

52

visa

06/02/2022

Co Op

Items for Vintage Tea. Coffee, tea

37.1

GR

52

Bank Transfer

08/06/2022

Caterer

Buffet

1000

GR

53

Bank Transfer

09/06/2022

Motley Pies

cakes and savouries for tea party

100

GR

 

visa

13/06/2022

Ebay Purchase

wrong account charged

19.99

 

54

cheque

13/06/2022

Roland Emmanuel

payment for entertainment x 2

100

GR

55

Bank Transfer

13/06/2022

Bay Landscaping Ltd

Inv 01848

243.5

GM

56

Bank Transfer

15/06/2022

Clerk

Phone allowance June

38.99

CE

57

Bank Transfer

15/06/2022

Cllr M Palmer

Reimbursment for posters

27.66

GR

 

visa

20/06/2022

Ebay Purchase

wrong account charged

22.04

 

58

visa

20/06/2022

Moneysoft Ltd

Payroll annual subs

93.6

SAF

59

Bank Transfer

25/06/2022

Clerk

Salary - June

843.68

S

 

Bal as at 30 June 2022

25638.98

 

 

 

 

 

For authorisation:

 
     
 

Car Allowance - Mileage record

 
     

Date

Detail of Journey

Mileage

     

07-Apr

Jubilee Meeting Loughor - Gowerton - Loughor

4

03-May

Jubilee Meeting Loughor - Gowerton - Loughor

4

21-May

Auditor - Loughor - Ammanford - Loughor

35

02-Jun

Jubilee Events Loughor - Gowerton - Loughor

4

03-Jun

Jubilee Events Loughor - Gowerton - Loughor

4

05-Jun

Shopping for Jubilee items Loughor - Gorseinon - Gowerton-Loughor

6

06-Jun

Voucher. Loughor - Penclawdd- Loughor

7

30-Jun

Auditor - Loughor - Ammanford - Loughor

35

     
     
     
 

Total mileage =

99

     
 

Total car allowance claimed at 45 pence per mile  =

£44.33

 

 

Authorisation required to pay invoice for Lyn Llewellyn, Internal Audit  £405

 
         

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
       

33c       CORRESPONDENCE

During the month of June we received approx. 200 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

I have been copied in to emails from Cllr Susan Jones regarding issues in the village she has received as Ward Member which she has reported. 

 

Also emails from Cllr Dai Jenkins, Ward Member, regarding queries with the land behind the Scout Hut and who maintains it.

 

I received a lovely email from Mike Morrell who took photos of the jubilee events and said how much he enjoyed seeing the various events and was happy to be part of it.

 

I have had correspondence from Compton regarding the tree guards near the Culvert. They said the land belongs to them but the Council put the tree guards there, Compton are happy for them to be removed. I will contact Swansea Council.

 

Our Instagram account has 302 posts and 470 followers.

 

 

34.        QUESTIONS RELATIVE TO COUNCIL BUSINESS

 

1.         Following on from Cllr Dai Jenkins report, Cllr Peter Morgan Peter Morgan said that the response from Swansea Council regarding the speed bumps is not acceptable. Did they do analysis before putting in speed bumps?  Risk analysis and cost analysis? Cllr Morgan is to compose an email.on behalf of Community Council for Clerk to send to Swansea Council.

 

2.         Cllr Matt Palmer mentioned point 21.1 of Cllr Jenkins report with regard to the Neat team.  He asked what is Cllr Jenkins understanding about the teams and what they do, as the information from Cabinet member for communities and ward member was inconsistent.  Cllr Jenkins explained that the Cabinet member had been away on holiday and there was a delay in receiving the information.

 

3.         Cllr Matt Palmer said that the path off Oakwood Drive and going towards Dunvant has had a lot of anti social behaviour. Drug equipment found there along with a 3 inch blade knife.  Reported to PCSO who came to dispose of the knife. It was agreed to write to Police Inspector Simon Trick to voice our concerns.  Also a lady was threatened by cyclists. Halfway along path from Oakwood, near the Brick works in Dunvant.

 

4.           Cllr Pat Evans asked if Community Council could fund a gift for Twinning?  Community Council are not allowed to fund gifts, following guidance from OVW.

 

5.         Bypass near the Commercial Pub – weeds around the floral displays. Clerk to report.

 

6.         Cllr June Merrells mentioned the new estate - George Manning Way. New residents speeding down and not looking right. Cllr Sue Jones has mentioned this in her report. Ward members are going to meet with Coastal Housing.

 

7          Cllr Barbara Small said there is Japanese knotweed on Garrod avenue. Clerk to report it.

 

8          Glanmorfa – trees on side of road very high. The branches fall down on the houses when windy. Cllr Dai Jenkins

 said he would go to go take photos.

 

9          The bench we funded has been installed

 

10.        Barriers from commercial over to CKS. Lights stop all the traffic. Ward member to speak to officers.

 

11.        Welcome to Gower. Guttering is collapsing and facia board hanging off. Clerk to write to the owner (gower brewery).

 

12.        Cllr Peter Morgan said during the heavy rain there was a big mud slick out of Cefn Gorwydd site.  Vehicles are still parking dangerously on Gorwydd Road. Cllr Morgan to send contact name to Clerk as previous contact as left.

 

13.        Cllr Lyneth Howells –  Phil and Pippa Pugh kindly cleaned up the Temple Church front, weeding etc. Clerk to send thank you letter.

 

14.        Street cleaning on Sterry Road is needed after the refuse lorry has been on Fridays. Put request  to Swansea Council.

 

15.        Cllr Edy was unable to attend the meeting but sent an email saying “I reported an incident to the police about a youth repeatedly riding a motorbike/scrambling in the Shaw woods. The woods are a nature reserve and should be protected and respected.

 

The Police/PCSO responded swiftly and spoke to some youths. There has been no occurrence.

 

I would like to record my thanks to the Police for their swift response. “

 

 

 

 

 

 

26.        PLANNING APPLICATIONS

 

 

Application No: 2022/1266/PLD Date Registered: 01.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2

 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259392 196017 Development Type: All Others (CPLDS, Prior etc) Location: 56 Gorwydd Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3AQ Proposal: Single storey rear extension (Application for a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Development) Applicant: Mr Charlie Jones Agent: Mr Matt John

 

Gowerton Community Council has no objections.

 

Application No: 2022/0718/FUL Date Registered: 14.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2

Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259617 195726 Development Type: Householder Location: 2 Bishwell Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3AU Proposal: Conversion of garage to living accommodation Applicant: Mr Stephen Higgins Agent

 

Gowerton Community Council has no objections.

 

 

Application No: 2022/1459/FUL Date Registered: 22.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2

Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259196 196192 Development Type: Householder Location: 7 Woodlands, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DP Proposal: Two storey, part single storey rear extension and side boundary wall Applicant: Mr Barry King Agent: Mr Barry King

 

Gowerton Community Council has no objections.

 

 

 Application No: 2022/1492/FUL Date Registered: 24.06.2022 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2

Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259084 196317 Development Type: Householder Location: 75 Sterry Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3BN Proposal: Two storey side and rear extension and rear garden retaining wall and steps Applicant: Stefano Agent: Andrew Evaso

 

Gowerton Community Council has no objections.

 

 

 

Date of next meeting - 7 September 2022.

 

Meeting closed at 21.37

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                            

 

 

……………………………

.

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com