GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Meeting of Council held at via Microsoft Teams at 7.30pm on Wednesday 7 July 2021

 

 

PRESENT:  Councillors Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Viv Davies, Amanda Guard, Linda Bolchover, Lyneth Snodden-Howells, Peter Morgan, Clerk to the Council:  Allison James. Also present – Matt Palmer.

 

16.        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Paul Emmerton, Barbara Small

 

17.        DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: Cllr Small – planning application on Cae Mansel.

 

18.        MEETINGS WITH: None held due to Covid-19 restrictions.

 

19.        TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – None

 

20.        COUNCIL MINUTES: 2 June 2021

.

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Ann Guard, Seconded by Ros Holt and Linda Bolchover.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

21. TO RECEIVE THE REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Sue Jones

 

During this month we, as the City and County of Swansea, continue to meet on TEAMS and this makes sure that services and projects continue to progress.  I visited the Guildhall (outside) during this month, for Armed Forces Day for the first time in approximately 18 months.

 

I attended the Governor meetings at both Gowerton Comprehensive School and Gowerton Primary School.  I also attended a meeting at the Rechabite Hall in person and not in TEAMS.

 

This month has seen the progress of the refurbishment of the park on Park Road.  It will take a number of weeks to complete - the contractors have completed their part and now the Council will proceed with their involvement.  It has been sickening that during the evenings there has been issues with vandalism.  I have been informed of local children’s names which I am dealing with and I am progressing the installation of cameras at this location.  The sad result of this vandalism - which each and every one of us pay for.  I am unable to get my head round the mind set of this damage.  The park is currently closed for work to be carried out.

 

I have met with the representative of Rees Richards regarding safety issues in the wooded area at the end of Fairwood Terrace and am awaiting progress.  During the meeting, I was informed that the area at the end of Fairwood Terrace, work will soon be starting in order to build a further 80 - 90 houses in this location.  Once again,  the infrastructure of the village has not been considered (more traffic, limited spaces in schools, Doctors Surgery provision, and reducing the green areas by removing trees).  We are a unique village with two major Comprehensive Schools in our village, cross roads to access Waunarlwydd, Gorseinon, Penclawdd and Dunvant, and all the traffic that that brings.

 

The patch team are about to visit our village to address potholes etc.  I have given a list of areas throughout the village.  I would like to thank Cllr Anne Guard for her contribution to this process.

 

The Co Op have contributed to the village by giving a cheque to the football team for local children.  A big thank you to the Manager, Mr Dan Jones.

 

I have visited many of the businesses to keep them informed of grants that are available to them with their recovery after the pandemic.  I have informed the Authority with a list of their aspirations for the future and am awaiting further meetings on the Recover Grants.

 

There have been two accidents with cyclists on the Dunvant to Gowerton Section of the cycle track.  I have informed the Authority and asked that more signage and safety measures are looked at.  The Police attended both incidents and hopefully something should be progressed on the safety of all.  Could I wish those involved to have speedy recovery of their injuries. There is also concern at Alder Way regarding bicycle entering onto the Highway at speed and I have asked for costing of staggered barriers at this location.

 

There have been issues in the Library Carpark, with the theft of number plates of a residents car, and incidents of attempting to remove catalytic converters off cars within Gowerton.

 

I received a complaint regarding the dumping of garden waste and old fencing over the garden boundary of Clos y Gwyneth because of the implication of flooding in this area.  The Authority have written to the residents regarding this complaint, and I would encourage people to use the refuse collections and dispose of unwanted items in the appropriate manner.  

 

I have also had enquiries regarding a by law for lighting fires.  I would appeal to those who light fires to ensure that neighbours are informed and that consideration to others be employed.  Fires to be lit after the washing has been taken in.

 

There has been a number of issues for individual members of our Community that I have dealt with.  I continue to be available for a chat if needed.

 

I am also trying to establish the monthly surgeries in the Library and await the decision.

 

 

22.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

 

1. Attended the agenda  a Governor’s meeting of the junior school last month, among the topics discussed was the new curriculum starting September 2022

(2023 for comprehensive) a big thank you for all staff for what has been another very trying year 2. Attended an NEC meeting of OVW last month, some of the topics on the agenda included the following, response to WG consultation on Litter Plans, Welsh places charter, back to Community life, second home survey, Diversity in Democracy and local places for nature.

I also read out the statement regarding the S106 agreement between Developers and the LA to both the Policy Committee and the full NEC in the afternoon meeting. It was well received in both meetings.

3. Attended a Strategy Co-ordination Group meeting last week which is a Standing Committee of OVW National Executive Committee.

4. Attended a Rechabite hall Management committee meeting last week where items discussed included grants secured by the hall amounted to £24k,it was also suggested that an AGM could be held remotely as there hasn’t been a meeting for some years, also it could be held in the half with up to 30 people attending which was supported by the CCS officer in attendance.

5. Save a life Cymru is an organisation that raises awareness about Cardiac arrest chain of survival and fund training resources including public access to defibrillators and CPR. They have just been awarded £2.5M over the next 3 years by WG.

6. Work has began at the Cefn Gorwydd Colliery site to prepare for Pobl to build their much opposed 99 houses. It has been estimated to take around 2 1/2 to complete. I would ask all residents to report any issues they have whether it be noise, pollution, flooding or anything they consider to be an issue to the site manager and the planning department of CCOS 7. The much awaited re-surfacing of Sterry rd has been completed, let’s hope that other parts of Gowerton will also be considered sooner rather than later.

8.With the work on the new block and associated sports facilities at YGG we need to be aware of a number of issues 1) the drainage ditch behind the houses on Cecil rd is replaced with a proper drainage system to prevent flooding 2) the sports facilities don’t overlook the back gardens of the houses or a high fence should be erected for the privacy of homeowners.

9. I have received an email from a very irate resident in Bishwell Road, its regarding the lack of progress on the enforcement order on number 9.

I have been in communication with the officer dealing with this case and have been assured that the owner will be given 2 more weeks to complete the requirements of the enforcement order or the matter will be handed to the legal department to take legal action. This is a long standing problem and the Council need to be tough on enforcement 10. With the pollution levels an ever increasing threat to the health of residents of Gowerton due to the traffic in the village we need to have air quality monitoring on certain roads. We are building more houses and with the extension to one of our schools that means more buses and cars on our roads, its an environmental hazard that needs action.

 

 

23A.  REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

 

  1. Audit file was inspected by Lyn Llewellyn and returned with no issues. It was sent to External Audit in Cardiff on 29 June 2021.

 

  1. I have received an invoice from Calon Heart Defbrillators Wales. The total amount is £1312.00. If all Councillors are in agreement, I will pay this and arrange for the debrillator to be installed ASAP.

 

  1. We need to make a list of defibrillators in Gowerton.

 

  1. The library has requested that we move the defibrillator from their wall. The Co Op have agreed that we can install it on their wall instead. A new cabinet is needed after the last one was broken. Clerk to price in time for next meeting.

 

  1. Clerk is applying for a bursary to pay fees for the CiLCA course. If it is not granted, the fees are approximately £400 but this course is a requirement for Clerks.

 

  1. Welcome to Matt Palmer who has expressed an interest in becoming a Community Councillor.

 

 

  1. We have not been able to arrange another meeting as yet with Oliver Wickes from Ramblers Cymru but we hope to arrange something soon.

 

 

 

24 (B)  FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

Order Number

Cheque number or payment type

Date

Creditor

Subject

Net

VAT

Total

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               

21

VISA

01/06/2021

Asda

Stationery Items

4.85

0

4.85

22

bacs

02/06/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 June 2021

13.74

2.75

16.49

23

bacs

09/06/2021

Zurich Insurance

Annual insurance

412.15

0

412.15

24

bacs

23/06/2021

Post office

Postage costs - send to internal auditor

18.94

3.45

22.69

25

bacs

14/06/2021

Clerk Phone Allowance

June

34.12

4.87

38.99

26

bacs

24/06/2021

HMRC

May-21

287.98

0

287.98

27

bacs

24/06/2021

Moneysoft Ltd payroll programme

Annual subscription

90

0

90

28

bacs

24/06/2021

HMRC

June

288.54

0

288.54

29

bacs

25/06/2021

Clerk Salary

June

816.94

0

816.94

30

bacs

25/06/2021

Bay Landscapes Ltd

May and June invoices

405.84

81.16

487

31

bacs

29/06/2021

Lyn Llewellyn

Internal Audit

405

0

405

32

bacs

30/06/2021

Clerk Office Allowance

2nd quarter payment

200

0

200

33

bacs

01/07/2021

IONOS

Website - annual licence

75

15

90

34

bacs

02/07/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 July 2021

13.74

2.75

16.49

35

bacs

30/06/2021

Post Office

Postage costs - send file to external auditor

17.25

3.45

20.7

 

 

ANNUAL EXPENSES From 28 June 2020 to 30 June 2021

 
     
 

Car Allowance - Mileage record

 
     

Date

Detail of Journey

Mileage

     

28 jun 20

Deliver agenda packs

4

30 aug 20

Deliver agenda packs

4

4 Oct 20

Deliver agenda packs

4

29 Nov 20

Deliver agenda packs

4

3 Jan 21

Deliver agenda packs

6

31 Jan 21

Deliver agenda packs

6

28 Feb 21

Deliver agenda packs

6

4 Apr 21

Deliver agenda packs

6

9 April 21

Home - Gowerfresh Trees - Home

8

20 April 21

Home - Gowerfresh Trees - Home

8

21 April 21

Home - Gowerton - Home. Tree planting

3

25 Apr 21

Home - Gowerton - deliver litter pickers

3

18 Jun 21

Home - Gowerton (Trim trees at post box)

3

29 June 21

Home - Ammanford (auditor) - Home

30

     
     
 

Total mileage =

95

     
 

Total car allowance claimed at 45 pence per mile  =

£42.75

     

 

 

 

 

 

25(c) CORRESPONDENCE

 

During the period 30 May – 30 June, I received over 200 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

I received an email from the Post Office saying that there were complaints that the Post box on Gorwydd Road was overgrown. I called over to look and trimmed the nettles and brambles back to make it safe to use.

 

I received a phone call from a resident in the Elba estate who was having problems with a neighbour emptying food and cat faeces onto her property over the fence. I advised her to contact her agent as the property was a rental property.

 

We received an email on 2 June 2021, from Elywyn Gedrych who gave his resignation as a Community Councillor. We replied with an email of thanks for his contribution and services to Community Council during the last year and wished him well.

 

We received an email from Matt Palmer who is a local resident and has expressed an interest in becoming a Community Councillor. I had a chat with Mr Palmer and invited him along to our next meeting.

 

The instagram account has 326 followers and 160 posts.

 

 

26. QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS:

 

  1. Cllr Holt said she had purchased plants for Gowerton Train Station. Receipt to be emailed to the Clerk.

Cllr Holt said that she has contacted Transport for Wales regarding railway sleepers but has not had any response.

 

  1. Cllr Holt mentioned that she has received vouchers for rail travel. £300 worth in total. They are to be distributed to volunteers at £25 each who help out at the station. £50 – Cllr Holt and Mr Tony Holt. £50 for Cllr Davies and Mr Davies, £50 to go to the volunteers who do the gardening in on the square in the village. £25 each to Cllr Sue Jones and Cllr Ann Guard who help maintain the grounds at the train station.

 

If any organisations would like to apply for any vouchers for the remaining £100, please get in touch via email.

      

  1. Cllr Ann Guard asked if there is any progress on getting benches for the village. It was discussed and photos of possible locations to be sent to the Clerk. We will get some prices for installing them.

 

  1. Cllr Lyneth Howells mentioned the situation on litter and Dog fouling. She will ask Swansea Council for statistics on fines, etc.

 

  1. Cllr Howells said that a street event along Sterry Road would be good for the village. However, after much discussion it was deemed not viable due to licences being needed, road closures and insurance.

 

  1. Clr Peter Morgan mentioned the problematic parking on the estate near Gowerton RFC. Cllr Sue Jones will forward an email that has been sent to the RFC previously, but ultimately, unless people are parked illegally, there is not much we can do.

 

  1. Cllr Gareth Evans apologized for the technjcal problems he experienced during this evenings meeting and thanked Cllr Viv Davies for chairing the meeting.

 

  1. Matt Palmer thanked the Council for his warm welcome and is looking forward to joing us as a Community Councillor. Clerk to arrange paperwork etc.

 

  1. Cllr Sue Jones said that a local resident had come forward to trim the gravestones in Bethel Chapel. Unfortunately, if we are to supply equipment there are insurance and liability issues. Council is very grateful for the kind offer but cannot accept due to Health and Safety regulations.

 

  

.

 

 

27. PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

Application No: 2021/1475/NMA Date Registered: 27.05.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258089 196278 Development Type: NMA Location: 32 Maes Y Deri, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3GJ Proposal: Single storey rear extension - Non Material Amendment to planning permission 2020/1752/FUL granted 17th November 2021 to allow for the removal of fenestration from left side elevation Applicant: Dr Iqbal Agent: Mrs Sarah Wright

 

Application No: 2021/1509/TPO Date Registered: 03.06.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259443 195538 Development Type: Tree Preservation Orders Location: 8 Gower Rise, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DZ Proposal: To lift epicormic growth and crown thin one Oak tree, to lop one Oak tree and to fell 3 Ash trees covered by TPO 414 Applicant: Kelvin Donne Agent

 

Application No: 2021/0198/FUL Date Registered: 15.06.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259192 195973 Development Type: All Other Major Dev Location: YGG Gwyr Comprehensive School, Talbot Street, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DB, Proposal: Replacement boundary fence between bus bay and school. Applicant: Mr B Roles Agent: Mr Dean Hunt

 

Application No: 2021/0886/OUT Date Registered: 15.06.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258416 195971 Development Type: Minor Dwellings Location: Land At The Rear Of, 24 Cae Mansel Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3HH Proposal: Detached dwelling and cycle store (Outline) Applicant: Mr. Fabrizzio Amieni Agent: Mr. M. Johnson

 

Application No: 2021/1609/TPO Date Registered: 15.06.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 258545 196394 Development Type: Tree Preservation Orders Location: 14 Roper Wright Close, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3HD Proposal: To lop 1 Oak tree covered by TPO No. 451 Applicant: Ryan Davies Agent: Mr David Thomas

 

Application No: 2021/1283/FUL Date Registered: 23.06.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259206 196134 Development Type: Householder Location: 45 Cecil Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3DF Proposal: Retention of single storey rear extension with first floor rear balcony, rear raised terrace, pitched roof to two storey side extension, alterations to fenestration, extension to stable and conversion of part of garage to ancillary living accommodation Applicant: Ms Jodie Grove Agent: Mr David Newton Williams

 

Application No: 2021/1647/FUL Date Registered: 21.06.2021 Electoral Division: Gowerton - Area 2 Status: Being Considered Map Ref: 259215 197096 Development Type: All Other Minor Dev Location: Trafle Lodge, Victoria Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3AB Proposal: The temporary sitting of a portacabin for three years to be used as an auxiliary educational space Applicant: Mr R Davies Agent: Mr Leo Bailey

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 20.49

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                             

………………………………

 

 

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com