GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Meeting of Council held at Gowerton Con Club at 7.30pm on Wednesday 5 January 2022

 

 

PRESENT:  Councillors Susan Jones, Paul Emmerton, Ann Guard, Barbara Small, Roz Holt, Gareth Evans, Lyneth Howells, Pat Evans, Peter Morgan, Brian Edy, Clerk to the Council:  Allison James.

 

            Also present – Mr Dean Mason from Gowerton Rugby and Crickey Club

 

70.        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Councillor Matthew Palmer

 

71.        DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None

 

72.        MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

73.        TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION: None

 

74.        COUNCIL MINUTES: 1 December 2021

.

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Cllr Ros Holt, Seconded by Cllr Barbara Small.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

75. TO RECEIVE THE REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Susan Jones

 

Firstly, I hope you have all had a great Christmas and best wishes for 2022. I hope it is a healthy and happy year.

 

There has been a busy period over the last month preparing and organising of events for the Christmas Celebrations.  These have included:-

  1. Christmas Lights Competition on the houses - I have to thank Mr.Terry Nicholls for taking the photographs and ensuring that all houses were included.  The Conservative Club and Gowerton Community Council have provided the voucher to the winners – Mr and Mrs Evans of Glanymor -  to enjoy a meal.
  2. Christmas Carol Walkabout which finished up at the Flag Pole in the centre of the village. This was well supported and thanks to Rev.Pye of St.John’s Church for his organisation of this event.  Also, thanks to The Conservative Club for the mulled wine and mince pies after the event which was much appreciated.  Hopefully this will be an Annual Celebration for the village in future years.
  3. The Craft Fayre which took place in the grounds of Nomad Bar and Kitchen which was so well supported.  Thanks to the crafters that attended and the variety that they displayed which were all very beautiful and enjoyable.  Again, perhaps this could be an event which could be repeated.  Thank you to the boys of Nomads for contributing to the Christmas Celebrations in the village.
  4. The visit from Father Christmas was a huge success and many of the residents have expressed their support of this event.  The carriage and the horses were brilliant, as were the elves in attendance.  It has been commented on that the trail included most of the village which was appreciated by all.
  5. Thanks again to the Conservative Club for the lunches that they supplied and delivered on Boxing Day.  
  6. It was with great pleasure that I asked the local businesses to display the lovely pictures from the Gowerton Primary School children who wished all the village a Merry Christmas.  Some of these pictures were delivered with the charity hampers for some of the residents.   It is important to celebrate the talent of the children and I thank Mr Iain Ashton (Assistant Head of Gowerton Primary School), the children of the School and all the businesses for their help with this project.  I received many complimentary comments about the pictures.

During the last few weeks, the installation of the cameras in the Park has been completed.  Work has also been carried out to replace the vandalised surfaces in this area.  I have had a meeting with the Highway Department to discuss some road safety concerns in the village.  There have been many individual issues with residents of the village which I have been involved with.  I have passed information to the local businesses with the grants that are now available during this latest covid infection.  The new strain is very contagious and the numbers are of concern to us all.  Staffing issues in both Health and Community Care are certainly under pressure.  The rules are continually changing and can I ask that we all consider others when we meet in the Community - keep wearing the masks and socially distance from others and stay safe. I have purchased another two defibrillators for the village from my Community Budget and when they are installed it will be advertised.  I will be holding a monthly Surgery on Saturday the 8th. Of January from 11.00am to 12 noon.

 

 

76.  REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

 

Cllr Gareth Evans

 

1.Carol singing was arranged by Rev. Alex Pye on 18th December commencing at Nomad, where hot refreshments were supplied by Sam. Over 40 residents attended and sang at the rear of Nomads, Sterry Rd, The green, and terminated at St John’s Church. All choristers then followed on to the Conservative club to be welcomed by further hot refreshments that were gratefully received by all.

 

The children really enjoyed the event alongside the adults.

 

2.As we had not arranged a Christmas Grotto in 2020, a decision was made to hire a Horse and carriage to facilitate a Father Christmas visit through the village. The planned route was advertised in local shops, surgery and Library. A post box was provided for children to deliver letters to Father Christmas when sweets were provided by our very own elves. Many thanks to Santa Claus (Paul) and elves (Alison, Amanda and Lyneth) who all dressed up for the occasion that proved a huge success.

 

 Added to this, a Xmas craft fayre was held at Nomads where local businesses offered their wares. Penclawdd brass band played festive music to entertain many families that had come out to enjoy the day. The feedback has been very positive and residents have requested that this event is repeated!

 

3. A Xmas dinner was held at the Conservative club on 13th December that was enjoyed by all.

 

 

77A.  REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

  1. We have received lots of positive feedback following the Santa parade. The turn out by local residents was excellent and the atmosphere at the fayre at Nomad was really good.  I think we can safely say it was a big success. Thanks to all involved.

 

  1. Myself and Sue Jones attended a meeting with Mr Dean Mason and Mr Richard Jenkins from Gowerton RFC and Cricket Club regarding ideas for the Queens Jubilee celebration weekend in June. I will forward on the email from Dean giving an overview of what was discussed. I have invited Dean and Richard to the meeting on Wednesday to discuss ideas with you all.

 

  1. Precept letter has been received from Swansea Council and needs to be returned by 31 January 2022 with our required precept amount. Our bank balance currently stands at £30k. We have outgoings of approx. £5k for the xmas lights and I will be starting the ball rolling for the new bench in the village which will be around £2500. The balance includes £1200 grant funding from Western Power which needs to be spent this year. That still leaves us with a substantial balance so my recommendation would be not to increase the precept amount but neither decrease it. I would recommend we request the same amount as we usually do, but of course, this is to be discussed at the meeting.

 

  1. Welcome to our new Cllr Pat Evans who joined us at the December meeting. All positions for Community Councillors are now filled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

77 (B)  FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Order Number

Cheque number or payment type

Date

Creditor

Subject

Net

VAT

Total

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               

74

bacs

02/12/2021

HP Instant Ink

Charges up to 1 Dece 21

13.74

2.75

16.4

75

bacs

06/12/2021

Microsoft

Annual Licence renewal

79.99

0

79.99

76

bacs

06/12/2021

Amazon

Postbox and hats for xmas parade

22.48

4.5

26.98

77

bacs

06/12/2021

Coffee for meeting

Reimbursement of items purchased

5

 

5

78

bacs

14/12/2021

Rowena Moyse

Remainder of payment for Carriage Hire

200

 

200

79

bacs

16/12/2021

Clerk Phone Allowance

December

34.12

4.87

38.99

80

bacs

20/12/2021

Clerk

Reimbursement for sweets for parade

30

 

30

81

bacs

20/12/2021

Clerk

Reimbursement for chocolates for parade

15

 

15

82

bacs

29/12/2021

Clerk Salary

December

816.94

 

816.94

83

bacs

30/12/2021

Clerk

Office Allwance Qtr 3

200

 

200

84

bacs

31/12/2021

1 and 1 IONOS

Website

54

0

54

               
               

payment type

Min. No.

Date

Creditor

Subject

   

Amount (inc vat if applicable)

               

bacs

 

07/12/2021

Phonelink Installations

Payment for baskets

   

82.5

bacs

 

15/12/2021

Gowerton RFC

Payment for baskets

   

82.5

bacs

 

17/12/2021

Lulla Bella

Payment for baskets

   

42

bacs

 

31/12/2021

Swansea Council

Precept

   

11290

               
               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

77(c) CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

During the month of December, we received over 200 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

We have received an email from Swansea Council asking us to submit the precept amount required for 2022.

 

We have received an email from OVW giving details of training Courses which we would encourage Councillors to attend.

 

I received an email from a local resident on the Ballard estate asking how he could go about raising funds to purchased a new defibrillator for the estate. He has had permission from Compton who are the land owners to install a post for a defibrillator. He spoke to Cllr Sue Jones who has offered to fund the defibrillators from her Community Budget.

 

The instagram account has 380 followers and 219 posts.

 

 

78. QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS:

 

  1.       The Chairman read out a letter of resignation from Cllr Linda Bolchover who has been a Community Councillor for 26 years. Linda has been a tremendous asset to Community Council and we wish her well for the future.
  2.       Mr Dean Mason attended the meeting to talk about plans with Gowerton RFC and Cricket Club for the Queens Jubilee Celebrations in June 2022. Cllr Evans asked if any Councillors would like to form sub groups to help organize any of the events, to email the Clerk to the Council.
  3. Cllr Lyneth Howells asked could we contact Swansea Council for a machine to clean up the streets?

Cllr Peter Morgan mentioned the Cefn Gorwydd site. He has noticed the entrance seems to be sinking. A lot of work is going on there recently.

  1. Cllr Ann Guard said the fence has blown down on Woodlands near the cycle path.
  2.       Cllr Barbara Small has noticed that the xmas lights are still on in the village. Requested that the clerk ring Bowen Hopkins to request they are now switched off.
  3.       Cllr Small said that the residents who won the best dressed xmas house competition in Glanymor are delighted they were chosen.
  4. Cllr Brian Edy brought up the subject of the bus shelter in Ffos Felin. Window is missing since last summer. It is apparently on the list for repairs.
  5. Cllr Ann Guard said the street lights have been cut down on Elba street and it is very dark.
  6. Cllr Gareth Evans said the fencing between commercial and surgery has now been replaced.
  7. Cllr Gareth Evans said that there is a bit of green infront of 2 Bishwell road. Suggested as one location to put post and defib? Active phone box on corner there. Knocked door of 2 Bishwell road – to ask who’s bit of greenery land it is.  Cllr Emmerton said that there is a BT phone box on the corner of Bishwell Road and Gorwydd Road which is to be closed down. Ask if we can buy it for £1.
  8. Cllr Susan Jones said that she has arranged for the WRU flag to be put up in the triangle of land by the library. Clerk to order a new welsh flag.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

79.        PLANNING:

 

 

 

 

 

 

No objections to planning applications 1 and 2.

 

Number 3 – 2021/3161/TPO – Councillors are not happy that healthy trees might be cut down. Could we have a report from CCOS Tree Officer to confirm what needs to be cut down? Clerk to email planning.

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 21.11

 

Date of next meeting – Wednesday February 2022 at Gowerton Con Club.

 

 

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                            

………………………………

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com