Minutes of the Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 15th January 2020

PRESENT:  Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Paul Emmerton, Viv Davies, Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Ros Holt,

Susan Jones and Barbara Small


ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas


77.       APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Cllr(s) Lyneth Howells




79.       MEETINGS WITH:  None required




81.  COUNCIL MINUTES: 4th December 2019

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Except to note minor spelling mistakes and Cllr Viv Davies had emailed apologies for the meeting.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted. To include that The Weather Vane is with Mrs. Simpson, and members will be writing to Subrec with regards to establishing an environmental baseline report for Gowerton.



Cllr Jones gave the following report:

Monthly Report December 2019

I attended:-

Christmas Evening with Carols at the Mansion House, Gowerton Primary Foundation Phase Concert, Mansion House with St.John’s Musical Players, Voices in Harmony concert at St.Johns Church, Gowerton Primary School Key Stage 2 Concert, Community Pantomime at the Conservative Club, Coffee Morning in aide of Crisis at the Library, St.John’s Carole Service, Civic Carole Service at St.Marys Church, Community Carol Singing around the village with St.Johns Church and Ukulele Carol singing at 86 Brynymor Road.

Also attended meeting:-

  1. Site Visit of the Community Orchard with Gowerton Primary School.
  2. Performance Management at the Comprehensive School
  3. Ethos and Well Being at the Comprehensive School.
  4. Meeting with the School Council of the Comprehensive School with Gareth Evans (Chair of Community Council)
  5. Helped with the Community Meal at the Brangwyn Hall for the homeless and vulnerable people of Swansea.
  6. Child and Family Performance Panel.

Issues around the village:-

There have been problems with the relocation of the bus stops in the village and I have been assured that the new arrangement would be in place from the 5th of January and that all bus drivers would be given instructions to adhere to the new arrangements. Hopefully these problems have now been addressed.

I have received complaints regarding the safety of residents during the iced weather at the top end of Caemansel Road and I have organised the additional Grit bin in Caemansel Road.

There have been problems with accessing pink plastic recycling bags by residents of Caemansel Road.  There are a number of areas in Gowerton where the pink plastic bags are still in use and residents are unable to acquire these. If you would let me know and I will organise a supply to be available.

There have also been issues with the collection of dog waste from various bins in the village which again should be fine now.  Just to make you aware that dog waste bags can be put into the ordinary litter bins or perhaps dog owners should take the waste home and put into the black bags if the community dog bins are overflowing.

Parking around Mansel Street has been a problem with students from Y.G.G parking on this street.  The PCSO has been asked to monitor the area.   The yellow lines near the library are also being monitored by Highways. We are still awaiting the installation of the relocated bus shelter on Brynymor Road.

There has been a number of lights out in Gorwydd Road which has been assessed as beyond repair and will be replaced as soon as funds are available.  This is a safety issue for the residents which I hope will be completed sooner rather than later.


The litter bin near the Rugby Club has been installed as a trial because it has been removed twice before because of misuse. I received many requests from the residents of Fairwood terrace because of the litter left around that area. The new bin has been in place for the past week and already it has been misused with household waste.  This bin will be removed if this continues to be misused – I have asked for a further week to continue the trial.  So if anyone sees the person or persons who insist in using this instead of the kerbside collection could you let me know. Perhaps I could emphasise that the kerbside collection is available to all households in Gowerton and therefore no need to fly tip or use the litter bins for household waste.

Today (Monday 13th of January) I meet with Joanne Edwards our new Local Area Co-ordination who came into post on the 6th. Of January and have asked if she could come to the February Community Council Meeting.  Joanne covers Gowerton, Penclawdd and Loughor.  I am arranging a further meeting with her.

You may be aware that all Concessionary Bus Passes are in the process of being re-issued. The City & County of Swansea has just over 64,000 pass holders who qualify on the grounds of age or disability. The re-issuing process is being undertaken by Transport for Wales on behalf of the Welsh Government and the Welsh Councils.

It was Transport for Wales’s intention that existing (green) concessionary bus passes were to be valid for travel only up to and including 31st December. However, for a number of reasons, a grace period has been agreed, and the existing (green) passes will now be accepted up to and including 29th February.

I am investigating the location of the “Winding gear” from the Elba Colliery site and am speaking to the Estates Department who are responsible for the Primary School site on Mount Street.  Hopefully this will again be located at Gowerton Library.


 Glanmorfa: Email sent on 11th December 2019 and again last week the 8th of January 2020, the site has been visited to look to resolve the surface water issue on the pavement County  will need to look to install a small gully in the footpath and link this into a small soak away in the grass verge area hopefully this will resolve this issue, this work will have to be put into our drainage work programme however we will have to look at funding for this work so at this present time I cannot give a start date for this work.

Just to remind people that I hold my surgeries in Gowerton Library on the first Saturday of the month from 11.00 to 12 noon.  But would also add that I can be contacted throughout the month.





Cllr Gareth Evans gave the following report:

1. Visited Gowerton Comprehensive school with Cllr Susan Jones to give pupils a presentation on what the Community Council do for Gowerton.  There were a mix of pupils from Yr 7 to Yr 11; they all arrived with a list of requests.  After explaining the way Council works to support Gowerton, questions were taken; some of the issues raised were: CCTV in Elba, Youth clubs, crossing by rugby ground, more play areas, crossing at new junior school, overhanging trees, more wildlife around the village, loneliness therapy, lighting between Oakwood and Woodlands, rough sleepers in Gowerton – meals for Christmas, issues with regards to responsible dog owners, more public recycling bins and better access for disabled people.

2.  Father Christmas Grotto went well, thanks to all helpers on weekend, children enjoyed the experience, a big thank you to Santa, and proceeds of the raffle go to the RNLI in Mumbles.  Also the shed was erected on the day of the grotto.

3.  Attended ‘Festival of Christmas Music’ at St Johns Church which has three choirs; St Johns musical players, St Johns brass ensemble and St Johns Sunday school who stole the show with their version of ’12 days of Christmas’.  A wonderful night organized by Joan Lewis.

4.  Attended the ‘City Carol Service’ at St Mary’s church in Swansea, which was well attended, the choir sang beautifully, it was a lovely evening which was finished with mice pies and mulled wine.

5.  The Clerks vacancy has had one response to date, but Gareth advised he is sure there will be more interest by the closing date.



(a)           Miscellaneous

The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that:

1. Clerk Role Update.  Cllr Gareth Evans advised that job vacancy has been advertised.  Closing date for applications will be on 31st January 2020.  These will be discussed at the next meeting in February and interviews will be arranged.

2.  Events for the coming year.  Members will bring ideas in due course.

3.  Ash Tree – Pont Y Cob Visit.  Clerk advised that resident adjacent to large Ash tree on Pont Y Cob would like members to make a site visit to discuss.  Members requested clerk to contact tree officer in Swansea Council to also attend.

4.  Email 43: bus stops near the train station.  Members advised that there is a bus stop outside the Temple church which is the closest bus stop to the area as it is not viable due to width of the road to be any nearer to station.

5. Letter received re: West Street Gymnastics club.  Read out.  Members expressed genuine concern with regards to the position the club find themselves in.  Clerk to write and advise of concern and support.

6.  Precept consideration.  Item discussed.  No change made from last year’s precept amount £33869 for precept of 2020/21.

7. Letter received with regards train vouchers from Network Rail - sixty pounds worth to be given to St Johns Church sewing guild.


84(b)  Financial Matters

1.For Payment The following items are for authorization/ratification:




£ Amount












Telephone Adv. Charges





Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge





Bay Landscapes

Cutting Ivy from large Ash tree on Pont Y Cob, supply of Christmas tree.





Sage One

Online payroll system






Monthly printer ink





Rechabite Hall

Grotto Hire






Kingsbridge Print





David Shelford

Putting up the shed






 The items of correspondence were noted.   



1.  Cutting back of trees outside no 12 Woodlands is required. They are overhanging onto the road.

2.  The crossing outside the doctor’s surgery – there is mud and silt and needs to be thoroughly cleaned up.

3.  Woodlands potholes that have previously been reported – some have been done however they are in a terrible state.

4.  For info; the manhole cover has been fixed at the top of Woodlands.

With regards to this year’s 75th VE celebrations – possibility of considering pens/mugs to the schools.

5.  Cllr Davies requested permission to put up some notices regards to childcare in Gowerton and local fitness classes.  Agreed.

6.  Gurnos Rd/Shaw Street – right hand turning.  There is some very inconsiderate parking taking place around this area.  Clerk to advise PCSO and request Council to inspect.

7.  Village green status in Gowerton is still being looked into.  Next Clerk to progress.

8.  Traffic lights in village.  All pedestrian crossings come on at every lights stop, even without pedestrians pressing button.  Noticed by Vets and surgery lights this means lights are lasting an excessive amount of time without necessity.  Clerk to request button prompting.

9.  For info: on 30th December there was an incident on Sterry Rd, damaging several cars, which also demolished some bollards.  Council came out and cleared all debris.

10.  Vouchers need to be arranged for the harpist that played in the Arts and Crafts exhibition.

11.  Cllr Evans advised of some ideas with regards to VE day celebrations.  Such as street party, something in Rechabite Hall, using the Elba area and possibly having a flag pole in the vicinity of the noticeboard.  This will be discussed in greater details in the next coming months.



No registered planning applications.























Meeting closed at 8:50pm                                                                                         Chairperson


Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:



Allison James

0754 5251945