GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the Meeting of Council held at Gowerton Con Club at 7.30pm on Wednesday 2 February 2022

 

 

PRESENT:  Councillors Susan Jones, Ann Guard, Amanda Guard, Barbara Small, Roz Holt, Pat Evans, Brian Edy, Matthew Palmer, Clerk to the Council:  Allison James.

 

80.        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Councillors Gareth Evans, Paul Emmerton, Peter Morgan

 

81.        DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS: None

 

82.        MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

83.        TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION: None

 

84.        COUNCIL MINUTES: 5 January 2022

.

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Cllr Barbara Small, Seconded by Cllr Amanda Guard.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken were noted.

 

85. TO RECEIVE THE REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Susan Jones

 

Monthly Report for January 2022.

 

It has been a busy month with many TEAMS Meetings.  The Council Staff have worked tirelessly to ensure that services continued over the last month,l despite many contacting Covid variant and having to isolate.  I would like to pay tribute to all the front-line services for their commitment and dedication during this time.  Services have continued throughout the last two years with very little disruption.  

 

  1. It was with sadness that the vandalism of the safety surfaces was reported to me.  This surface was newly installed to upgrade the Park area.  The cameras are being looked at to identify the culprits and the Police have been informed.  The Fire Service attended the area to ensure that the smouldering surface was safe and I thank them for their help.  I would like to also thank the two gentlemen dog walkers for giving me the information.
  2. I have been informed that the lost link of the cycle track that connects to the village via Station Road will be started at the end of February with completion in April.  This is welcomed by many and I hope the residents of Station Road are considered by the cyclists and users of the track.
  3. We welcome the new Motely Pie Shop to the village and hope they will be an asset enjoyed by all.  The waste collection has now been established after an initial problem.
  4. I have agreed to provide the wild flower planting in the village which will enhance the area.
  5. The frontage of the Library is to have some bedding plants to again to add to the area.  I have tried to get a volunteer to take on this project in conjunction with the Friends of the Woodlands and outside Areas.  Hopefully this project will materialise.
  6. I have been involved with the planning of the Queens Jubilee celebrations alongside Mr Dean Mason and have been meeting with many of the village people.  The dates are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of June when the public holidays will be established.  Hopefully the Community will benefit from these celebrations.
  7. I would like to pay tribute to the Head Teacher of Gowerton Comprehensive School, Mr. Nigel Jones, who has decided to retire at the end of this academic year.  I wish him a healthy, happy, and long retirement and thank him for his contribution to the School and to our village community.
  8. It was great to see the installation of the defibrillator in the Ballard Homes and I thank Dave Nicholas for his swift action in this project.  I have also secured a gift of a defibrillator from Coastal Housing which will be installed soon.
  9. Walk and Talk has started back after the Christmas Break and we meet on a Wednesday Morning 10.00 am in the Elba Sports Complex Carpark followed by Coffee in Y Shed.  Any new members would be welcome.
  10. There have been many complaints regarding the dog poo bins being over filled.  Can I remind residents that the litter bins can also be used or take the waste home and put it in your own black bags.  

During this period there have been individual issues that have been dealt with.  This has been a very busy month.

 

Cllr Jones also added that there is funding of approximately £50k available to provide tarmac behind the houses on Park Road at the side of the shop. The work will be carried out in 2023.

 

Also, Cllr Jones will fund the road closures on the Friday of the Jubilee celebrations on Sterry Road to provide space for a Craft and Food Market.  

 

 

86.  REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

 

Cllr Gareth Evans

 

1.One voice Wales

I was informed of the passing of County Cllr Mair Stephens, Deputy leader of Carmarthenshire County Council and former Chair of One Voice Wales. She will be sorely missed on the Policy committee of OVW NEC. Our thoughts and condolences goes out to her family, colleagues and friends.

 

2.A letter-drop to residents of Gorwydd Rd has been sent from Morganstone which included some of the following;

a) All mine caps have been completed.

B )Mains drainage up to plot 17.

c) Three flow chambers have been constructed.

d) Road formation has commenced.

E) Work will commence on foundations for plot 1,2, main drainage and road construction will be from plots 17-26.

 

There has been a missed opportunity by Pobl to engage with Gowerton residents in a professional manner since the construction commenced. However, as a Community council we welcome improvements in engagement and demand that regular newsletters and communications are continued.

 

3. Attended a Governors meeting with Gowerton Primary school in January.

 

4.Attended OVW committee meeting where a presentation was made by Steve Davies, Divisional Commander of the Southern division Fire Service. The service is making changes to meet  demands required to maintain their commitment to the public in view of some recruitment and retention issues.

 

5.Local Government and Elections ( Wales) act 2021 consultation (closes 17/3/2022)

Community and Town Councils statutory guidance- description;

  • Eligible to exercise the general power of competence
  • Access meetings from multiple locations.
  • Provide opportunity for public participation at public council meetings
  • Publish an Annual report
  • Publish a training plan to support councillors and council staff

 

6.Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972 has been retained “for councils that do not wish to resolve themselves as eligible councils or are not yet able to satisfy the eligibility conditions”.

 

7.Audits for Community and Town Councils will be based on a 3 Year cycle, in 2 out of 3 years the arrangements will be broadly the same. In I year of the 3 year cycle, auditors will undertake a more detailed observation of individual transactions.

 

 

 

 

87 (B)  FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

   

Item 5 b

 

FINANCIAL MATTERS - 2/2 /22

   
             
             

Minute

 

Date

Creditor

Detail

Amount

Code

             

85

bacs

15/12/2021

Bay Landscapes Ltd

November Invoice

411.5

GM

 

Receipt

31/12/2021

Swansea Council

Precept

-11290

 

86

bacs

04/01/2022

HP Instant Ink

Charges to 1/1/22

16.49

GA

87

Receipt

07/01/2022

Top Knot

Hanging baskets

-82.5

 

88

bacs

11/01/2022

Amazon Market Place

Welsh Flag

5.68

E

89

bacs

14/01/2022

Gowerton Cricket Club

Chair allowance donation to Pavilion works

500

CA

90

bacs

14/01/2022

Bay Landscapes Ltd

December

243.5

GM

91

bacs

17/01/2022

Clerk Phone Allowance

January

38.99

CE

92

bacs

17/11/2022

Pontardulais Garden Centre

Vouchers and card for L Bolchover

51.99

GA

93

bacs

25/01/2022

Bowen Hopkins

Installation of Defib

234

D

94

bacs

25/01/2022

Clerk Salary

January

816.94

S

   

28/01/2022

Asda

Paper

4.36

GA

             
     

Total

 

1829.5

 
     

Closing balance 30/1/22

28875.16

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

87(c) CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

During the month of January, we received over 150 emails.

 

These consisted of emails from Councillors, One Voice Wales, marketing emails etc which need no action.

 

Emails containing the weekly planning lists were all sent on to Councillors for information before the monthly meeting.

 

We have received an email from Swansea Council giving a timescale of procedures for the elections in May 2022. Also, we need to budget for £3500 costs.

 

We have received an email from OVW giving details of training Courses which we would encourage Councillors to attend.

 

I have received an email from John Hopkins from Swansea Council Parks Dept asking to arrange a site visit in preparation for the bench installation.

 

I contacted Mr Dean Mason to request BACS details in order to send him the donation from the Chairs allowance of £500 for on going work to the Cricket pavilion as directed by Cllr Gareth Evans, Chairperson 21/22. Mr Mason was delighted to receive the donation on behalf of Gowerton Cricket Club.

 

I received an email from Mr Dean Mason suggesting a meeting for those who are keen to help organise the Queens jubilee events in May.

 

 

The instagram account has 221 posts and 389 followers.

 

 

88. QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS:

 

  1. Clerk mentioned we still have the picture donated by a local resident. It was intended originally to be hung in the Rechabite Hall.  Clerk to contact Mrs Linda Bolchover to ask if this is still possible.
  2. Cllr Pat Evans mentioned the speeding problems on Cecil Road. Cllr Susan Jones said there are plans to put speed bumps along the road. Welsh Assembly are funding these in 2023 and will be imposing a 20mph speed limit.
  3. Cllr Barbara Small said she has heard that there are going to be speed bumps on Bryn y Mor Road. Local residents have complained about this. It was agreed that we contact Swansea Council to ask if there is an alternative such as flashing lights, or enforcement rather than speed bumps.
  4. Cllr Brian Edy said that the planning application discussed in last months meeting involving the TPO for trees at 4 Coed Gurnos, Gowerton – a tree inspector has been out and there are a lot of restrictions of what can and cannot be done on the trees, which is reassuring.
  5. Cllr Jones suggested that the Sunday of the Jubilee weekend would be the best date for the thank you tribute to the Volunteers that helped during the pandemic. Community Council have £1200 of grant funding to pay towards costs.  Clerk to contact Lord Mayor and Lord Lieutenant to invite them to attend.
  6. Clerk to contact businesses to ask who wants hanging baskets on businesses this year.
  7. Clerk to purchase a flag for Queens Platinum Jubilee.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

89.        PLANNING:

 

Application number: 2021/3157/FUL

Date registered: 7/1/22

 

52 Cecil Road, Gowerton, Swansea SA4 3DE

 

Retention of vehicle Cross Over

 

Applicant: Mr Robert Etches

 

Application number 2021/2892/NMA

Date registered: 13/1/22

 

Former Cefn Gorwydd Colliery, Gorwydd Road, Gowerton, Swansea SA4 3AN

 

Non material amendment to planning permission 2018/1894/RES to allow for the submission of amended plans relating to alterations to the external appearance of apartment block on plots 37-42.

 

Applicant - Pobl Group

 

Council has no objection to either of these planning applications.

 

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 20.45

 

Date of next meeting – Wednesday 2 March 2022 at Gowerton Con Club.

 

 

                                                                                                Chairperson                                                                            

………………………………

 

 

 

 

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Allison James

0754 5251945

Gowertoncommunitycouncil4@gmail.com